This page is a mirror of Tepples' nesdev forum mirror (URL TBD).
Last updated on Oct-18-2019 Download

What people are working on at the moment?

What people are working on at the moment?
by on (#48882)
In Metalsmile thread about his blog ZomCoder mentioned that it would be interesting to know what people are working on at the moment.

Warning(?): wall of text coming.

We know (in no particular order) on the top of my head about Metalslime current game with is blog, Brelagad on is action game (which I hope to see more details someday), Celius Chateaulevania, Tepples love for Tetris, Tokumaru interest in Sonic and many other ones that I forget but what about the other people? That was ZomCoder question.

I mentioned that maybe people are reserved and don't want to talk about it, concerned that it's not ready or will never be finished. This is a little bit my case but the reality in life is not all project will succeed. But even thought a project doesn't reach it's intended goal, it doesn't mean that it will not bring some experience along the way (to yourself or other people in the community) to make the next project a better one.

So keeping this aspect in mind that I gain experience even when I fail, I decided that I will talk a little bit about my current one, hoping that since people will know what I actually do, it will make it easier to answer my questions because they will have the context with it.

People know that I'm working on a map editor. It's progressing but because I want too many options, want it to be perfect and don't have much time, it's not moving forward. I have a few projects in mind but creating original assets is a pain when you're not a graphic artist. So I didn't have anything useful for testing it.

One day, while checking more information about Megaman 9, I saw someone redraw the complete maps. I started to check how metatile would work, how can I implement it in my map editor (I asked a question about it in this thread). Then I thought: what if I extract the tiles from it and try to use it to test my editor? That's perfect assets since I know what to expect, will know if it works well fast and where I can improve it.

The results was this: Concrete man map

After remaking the complete map, making the color attributes works I thought, what if I push it one step further? What if I just try to make that level work on the nes? So, all of a sudden, I embarked myself on the adventure of trying to remake a Mega man 9 level, on the real nes.

Now people must be beginning to understand why I was talking so much about Megaman 9 recently. My goal is not to remake Megaman 9, that's not possible alone anyway. My intention is to "try" to reproduce as close as possible the demo capcom made, which mean one level only.

The thing that I hated the most about the demo was that you couldn't play against the boss at the end. This is one of the extra option that I want to add.

I spilled the bean. That may sound crazy, you may even laugh about it. will I be able to do this? Even I don't know. But what I know is that now that I have assets and a goal, all the experience that I will gain trying will make me a better programmer for my real projects and I will have some engine core along the way.

So now that you know what I'm working on... Be ready for many questions while trying to build my game engine :lol:

Other people want to talk about their project, even thought they seems too ambitious? Maybe I could make a blog about it like Metalslime. I don't know how much the information will be valuable thought.

by on (#48887)
Well, yes I'm working on a action-adventure game, and you can't say I'm reserved and don't talk about it, on the other side, I have plenty of topics where I talk about it. I'm planning to release it this year. I initially intended to develop a RPG but failed (because I wasn't a good programmer yet back then !). As you say, you gain experience as doing things. Even for my second project, I lost considerable time because I did a lot of terrible errors. As a tip to other people to not repeat my errors I'd say :

- Don't code anything until you really know at least 75% of what your game will be like. That is, you should have designed levels, enemies, play system, bosses, etc... Coding one level and wait 2 years to have an idea for a second level is NOT efficient.
- When designing stuff (maps, enemies, bosses, ...) always stop on your fist idea and don't try to search for better ideas. You can wait years having a lot of ideas and liking none of them, but this won't advance your project
- Widely doccument your project on paper and on your computer and keep it organized in a safe place
- When you start coding some difficult task, continue to do it regularly until you're done. Interrupt your task for months, and you'll be confused when you try to resume your work as you forgot how exactly you implemented it.

As for MM9 I don't know the legality of this, tepples the lawyer probably knowns this better.

by on (#48889)
If we're talking about Nintendo-related projects, then these are some of my most recent ones:

http://jiggawatt.org/muzak/xpmck/
http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/android/fudroyd/index.html
http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/sixpack/

by on (#48891)
Bregalad wrote:
Well, yes I'm working on a action-adventure game, and you can't say I'm reserved and don't talk about it,


The name of the persons I mentioned are not reserved at all and talked publicly about their project. The small comment regarding you was just that I didn't hear much recently about it and was curious if it was going well. Now I have my answer since you mentioned your plan for this year. I would like to see new screen shots, if possible ;)


Bregalad wrote:
As for MM9 I don't know the legality of this, tepples the lawyer probably knowns this better.


Since I'm not making a game for resale, with no intention on distribution on cart and it's is used for learning on making my engine, I don't see any issue. There is many fan games in Japan so as long that I don't make money out of it (and only one level anyway), it should be fine. And if Capcom do mind about it, I can always go see them in Osaka and talk to them :lol:

by on (#48892)
Well, my project wasn't going well those last month becauase I had to pass exams, but it'll going well this summer I really want it to be released in 2009 (I wanted it in 2007 originally :cry: )

XPMCK sounds like very interesting, I and Celius also wanted to join to make a cross-platform sound engine as evolved and optimized as possible, but if such a thing already exists we probably won't need to re-invent the wheel. Altough I don't know if XPCMK is "evolved and optimized" enough or not.

by on (#48894)
Quote:
Altough I don't know if XPCMK is "evolved and optimized" enough or not.


It's fairly evolved, but I don't know about optimized. In particular, the player code uses up more ROM space than it would need.

Feature-wise, some of the things that are missing are

* Portamentos. You can of course do them manually with EP just like with p(p)mck, but it'd be nice to have them handled automatically.
* Virtual sound registers. The playback libraries currently writes directly to the sound chip(s).

But it does add a few things like patterns (to save space in compiled music data) and callbacks (let's you trigger a function to be called on the host CPU from your song, once or every time a new note is played).
Re: What people are working on at the moment?
by on (#48897)
Banshaku wrote:

The results was this: Concrete man map

After remaking the complete map, making the color attributes works I thought, what if I push it one step further? What if I just try to make that level work on the nes? So, all of a sudden, I embarked myself on the adventure of trying to remake a Mega man 9 level, on the real nes.

Now people must be beginning to understand why I was talking so much about Megaman 9 recently. My goal is not to remake Megaman 9, that's not possible alone anyway. My intention is to "try" to reproduce as close as possible the demo capcom made, which mean one level only.

I spilled the bean. That may sound crazy, you may even laugh about it. will I be able to do this? Even I don't know. But what I know is that now that I have assets and a goal, all the experience that I will gain trying will make me a better programmer for my real projects and I will have some engine core along the way.

So now that you know what I'm working on... Be ready for many questions while trying to build my game engine :lol:


I don't think that sounds crazy at all. Sounds like an awesome project! especially for learning. And you know 100% what the end result should look like so you won't run into those sticky design problems that Bregalad mentioned. You've already got the music down great too.

Quote:
Maybe I could make a blog about it like Metalslime. I don't know how much the information will be valuable thought.


If that's a serious possibility, please do! I'll read it, that's for sure!

by on (#48899)
I'm working on a very basic platformer game engine at the moment. Just the other day I learned the very important lesson that nobody gets attributes right on the first try. :lol: My goal is to make a simple but fun game that hopefully some retro game enthusiasts out there might enjoy playing. I want to keep it simple so I can have a finished project under my belt. Once I have a playable demo, I'll be sure to post a video about it somewhere on this site. That could be a while though. I'm working slowly, but steadily. Being married and so forth has its responsibilities =)
Re: What people are working on at the moment?
by on (#48900)
MetalSlime wrote:
I don't think that sounds crazy at all. Sounds like an awesome project! especially for learning. And you know 100% what the end result should look like so you won't run into those sticky design problems that Bregalad mentioned. You've already got the music down great too.


I know what to expect but....! There is still things that you don't know! For example, the game music, many things cannot be remade exactly because they sampled the sound and put into a sequencer. People like Tssf or Sivak that remade the songs have experience about those pain. I learned about the explosion sound that was not possible in another thread with Neil. I had to fake the beginning of the sound with some square channels.

Then... I ended up on my first real issue. Mega man 9 uses 2x2 metatile. This part is fine but... The screen.. Are 16x14 metatiles.. At first it seems fine until you realize that you use put it on the nes, a screen 16x-->15<--(!)..

That seems not a big problem at first but it is. You cannot just put it a the top or bottom because you lose a row that will impede on the screen scrolling. The first reaction everyone will have is "just move it one tile down, problem solved!". Tsk tsk tsk.. Wrong answer. I though the same thing too. If you move it 1 tile down, you cannot have the same metatiles anymore. This generate a lot more metatile since the map is no more consistent and now the real issue: colors for the attributes tables are not possible anymore.

The solution: improvise an extra row of metatile. The first map shown in the screen shot above does it. I will have to do it for all map and try to make it look like it's the real thing.

MetalSlime wrote:
Quote:
Maybe I could make a blog about it like Metalslime. I don't know how much the information will be valuable thought.


If that's a serious possibility, please do! I'll read it, that's for sure!


I never did that before though. I could complain, huh, discuss about all the pain I went through. The music is one of them right now. When you're not used to track... ohohoh.. I passed a lot of time to make some of the songs. I almost finished to make all the required ones, still a few ones left. I'm grateful that Tssf made is s3m public, that really help me to learn how to do thing.

by on (#48901)
It's been established what I'm working on. BK:FoP

Right now I'm getting the password system to work. Then maybe a simple cutscene. After that I intend to go back and look into doing the final battle.

by on (#48903)
Well...my project totally kicks your project's ass. It's pong ;-)

by on (#48905)
I started a platforming game I'd like to pick up again sometime. I've only got a basic engine working but I hope for it to be something like Ninja Gaiden with AI and more modern game elements.

Other (hardware) projects of mine:

-Famiclone (can't run anything except PPU data, still no CPU core since I'm stupidly trying to implement it from the 6502 schematics).

-Software PC link through FC/NES expansion port (<4k/s) for dumping carts, controlling hardware in real time, running short programs.

-Hardware PC link through PC's parallel port, very fast (100k/s) and just 4 common TTL chips. Hope to figure out the MMC3 scanline logic once and for all with it.

by on (#48908)
Quote:
That seems not a big problem at first but it is. You cannot just put it a the top or bottom because you lose a row that will impede on the screen scrolling. The first reaction everyone will have is "just move it one tile down, problem solved!". Tsk tsk tsk.. Wrong answer. I though the same thing too. If you move it 1 tile down, you cannot have the same metatiles anymore. This generate a lot more metatile since the map is no more consistent and now the real issue: colors for the attributes tables are not possible anymore.

The solution: improvise an extra row of metatile. The first map shown in the screen shot above does it. I will have to do it for all map and try to make it look like it's the real thing.

Errr... you could set the vertical scroll to some different value ($f0 for exapmle) so the last row will be on the top and keep the last 2 rows black. Not really an issue as long as you only scroll horizontally. Even if you scroll vertically, there is no reason you can't work by having the vertical scroll take non-aligned values (I do this in my game, all screens align nicely with nametables horizontally, but not vertically, so this IS possible).

Improvising extra metatiles rows isn't wrong either. If I prot my game to the C64 I'll have to do the opposite : Remove some metatiles rows (and possibly improvise columns).

About XPMCK, does it use that "1 note = 1 byte" format, or does it so 1 note = 2 bytes like the oly MCK ? Does it support for sound effects, or if not could it be added easily into the project ? I guess I'd PM you because you know I love sound engine, and I've always wanted to make (or bring my contribution) to one who is multi-platform. Seems there is no NES version (because of PPMCK ?). But while PPMCK is nice and "elvolved", it waste ROM space (because 1 note = 2 bytes), the tempo is done at compiling and not at runtime, and the comments are in japanese :(

by on (#48912)
kyuusaku wrote:

-Famiclone (can't run anything except PPU data, still no CPU core since I'm stupidly trying to implement it from the 6502 schematics).

.


Curious, How much logic did the PPU take?

by on (#48913)
It uses 1 byte per note, as long as that note is the same length as the one specified with the latest l-command for that channel. Notes of some other length will be 3-4 bytes; one byte for the note itself, and 2-3 bytes for the duration (I use fixed point for durations).

I handle tempo at compile-time as well. Calculating the note durations at runtime would be quite a pain, especially when the q/@q-commands are used.

And yeah, ppmck is pretty much the reason why I haven't written a playback lib for the NES. Even though it has its shortcomings, it works quite well (if you're only interested in making NSFs) and supports pretty much every sound expansion chip in existence.

by on (#48919)
The reason I don't like posting about my projects is that I take LONG breaks from programming, and would rather not feel I'm disappointing people who are waiting for my them. Plus I kind of like coming out of nowhere and saying, "Here's a finished game."

While I'm not doing anything NES related now, (I'm currently on a LONG break from programming and am drawing/painting instead) my current project is an original platformer with REALLY nice and sophisticated physics that will probably be so abysmally difficult to program that I'll give up before you hear any more about it. It's a platform game that will be able to support slopes of any size, and the player can manipulate the main character's trajectory in a lot of different ways. (Technically it'll be easy to make work, but difficult to make it fast enough that it won't slow down often) If I ever get it working, it will also have some pretty neat multiplayer things. Both competitive and cooperative.

The entire game is pretty much planned out on paper. (except for the design of each level which is the "easy" part) I've got my compression worked out, but it could be better. I've got the moves of the character planned out. I've mapped out all of my collision detection "rules". A few could use tweaking, to decide whether or not to force the character out of a wall or steep slope. I've got my scrolling worked out, and my sprite engine and sprite scrolling already work. A lot is planned. I really just need to actually DO it. But that's how I am. I stop working on something when I'm really close to a breakthrough. (same thing happened with GalaxyNES. But no one knew it happened since it was developed in secret.)

I also plan out updating GalaxyNES someday... that game never got the response I wanted it to.

by on (#48920)
I like reading about other people's projects, it motivates me to work on my own. :D

For the last month or so I've been working on a music engine. I put it off for a long time because I didn't know where to even begin. Now I see that writing the code is the easy part, it's composing the music that's difficult. Once I get a "version 1.00", I plan on finally finishing my Pitfall! and Cat Killer demos.

Aside from that, I have a tactical (strategy?) rpg that's coming along nicely. It draws inspiration from Liberty or Death (snes), The Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Fire Emblem series.

My other project is an American Football game that I only work on when I need a break. Needless to say, it's still pretty early in development.

by on (#48923)
Quote:

I also plan out updating GalaxyNES someday... that game never got the response I wanted it to.

That's probably because it was so insanely difficult that none of us ever beat the first level....

Quote:


Aside from that, I have a tactical (strategy?) rpg that's coming along nicely. It draws inspiration from Liberty or Death (snes), The Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Fire Emblem series.

Oh my god this is awesome ! I was going to plan one too, but need to finish my current game first. I am a fan of Fire Emblem and others TRPGs.

by on (#48925)
Quote:
What people are working on at the moment?


- Twitter, anyone?

by on (#48928)
2600 wrote:
Curious, How much logic did the PPU take?

It's around 300 Xilinx slices, mostly from the registers, plus a dual port RAM macro for OAM. I think the entire clone can fit into a <200K gate FPGA as long as it has the necessary block RAM.

by on (#48929)
Bregalad wrote:
That's probably because it was so insanely difficult that none of us ever beat the first level....

Beat the first Level? There are no levels in Galaxy NES. Nor are there levels in Geometry Wars. What led you to believe you could "beat a level"? It's a game entirely for high score, like asteroids. Complaints about the controls not being like asteroid were fine, but this comment puzzles me. PM me, since I don't wanna completely derail the thread.

by on (#48932)
Image

A competition hack with kicked-up difficulty and some new features for a little party I'm going to. (The B, A, and D are a bit squished due to the 8-sprite limit.)

I also made an MP3 player that hooks FCEUX's memory and plays a track based on the contents of a specific NES RAM address, which will be used with the aforementioned hack. I might clean it up a bit and release it to the public, but thanks to my extremely sub-par Delphi programming skills, it only works with a specific version of FCEUX, and probably only on my machine. :P
Re: What people are working on at the moment?
by on (#48938)
Banshaku wrote:
You cannot just put it a the top or bottom because you lose a row that will impede on the screen scrolling. The first reaction everyone will have is "just move it one tile down, problem solved!". Tsk tsk tsk.. Wrong answer. I though the same thing too. If you move it 1 tile down, you cannot have the same metatiles anymore. This generate a lot more metatile since the map is no more consistent and now the real issue: colors for the attributes tables are not possible anymore.

To put Bregalad's suggestion another way, what happens when you scroll the screen to y=232?
Re: What people are working on at the moment?
by on (#48940)
tepples wrote:
To put Bregalad's suggestion another way, what happens when you scroll the screen to y=232?

I suggested this to him, but apparently there will be issues when scrolling vertically.

by on (#48941)
People seems very busy, good to know!

Jeroen wrote:
Well...my project totally kicks your project's ass. It's pong ;-)


Arggg! I knew I made the wrong choice! ;) But seriously, I'm not making it because I'm a big mega man fan, not really. I'm more into Ninja gaiden and castlevania but still like megaman. It just happened after trying to reproduce the map with my editor. I will give it a try. I hope I can learn enough trick so it will be easier to make my own original game.

@kyuusaku:
Something like Ninja gaiden? You got me interested already! Hardware stuff.. Would love to be able to play with those things someday.

@Kasumi:
We have to take breaks sometime and it's normal. Good to see you're thinking about your next game.

Kasumi wrote:
I also plan out updating GalaxyNES someday... that game never got the response I wanted it to.

I didn't know about that, good that you talk about it. I will give my comment then. Regarding your game, it was a nice one but I'm not into those infinite game just for scoring points. what made me interested in the nes was side scroller with a goal. This is what made the difference for me. One screen game like pac man never kept my interest.

Regarding Bregalad comment, I guess he mixed by accident with another shooter game that was very hard to pass the first level. I forgot the name of the person who made it. It was based on a game made on another system, a thruster game.

@never-obsolete:
American Football game? Interesting. Sim or action based?

@Fx3:
I'm not into social networking thing so I don't know what you're talking about for twitter (never used it, just heard the name). Good job on your hard work on your emulator by the way. I forgot to mention people that other things than games in my list.

@BMF54123:
Good pun on the name, like it :P

@Tepples/@Brelagad/@Tokumaru comment about scroll:

At first, I tough of moving "literally" 1 tile down in the name table data (I'm new to the nes so I always do things the hard way :lol:). Now I see what you mean by scrolling -8 pixel to put the 2 black rows at the bottom 1 at the top and other at bottom.

For a side scrolling that goes only left and right, this is a good idea. For mega man game, you have to scroll up and down for changing part in the level. The black bar becomes an issue. I checked all 6 mega man game on how they update the name table while scrolling up and down and none have black bar, all the screen is filed even thought you don't see all tile rows. If someone have a trick to remedy this issue I'm all ears because I would prefer to keep the map as accurate as possible, without the need to improvise but I think it's not possible. hmmm...

I'm happy to have talked about my crazy(?) project used for building my next engine for my real game. It's a lot easier to explain my issue now that people now the context.

Edit:

I found the game maybe Bregalad mixed up by accident. It's a game by Smkd mentioned here.

by on (#48942)
<offtopic>
Quote:
I'm not into social networking thing so I don't know what you're talking about for twitter (never used it, just heard the name)


- It was a trick, nobody has noticed. Fine. ^_^;; The Twitter asks "What are you doing?" and you can "answer" it, like a micro blog.</offtopic>

by on (#48943)
Fx3 wrote:
- It was a trick, nobody has noticed. Fine. ^_^;; The Twitter asks "What are you doing?" and you can "answer" it, like a micro blog.


Ah! it was a joke based on the title of this thread. I get it know, sorry I was slow a little bit.

Offtopic: I was going to say that I wanted to download your emulator but there was no version on your site these days but by doing a quick check now I just realized that you just updated it recently with version 5. I think you didn't mention it here or I missed it. Going to download it right away because Rocknes is the only emulator that I'm aware that can dump name table data (and other things too) during game play, which is quite useful for a developer.

by on (#48945)
Banshaku wrote:
Going to download it right away because Rocknes is the only emulator that I'm aware that can dump name table data (and other things too) during game play, which is quite useful for a developer.

Actually, FCEUX can do that, too... :P

by on (#48948)
Quote:
Beat the first Level? There are no levels in Galaxy NES. Nor are there levels in Geometry Wars. What led you to believe you could "beat a level"? It's a game entirely for high score, like asteroids. Complaints about the controls not being like asteroid were fine, but this comment puzzles me. PM me, since I don't wanna completely derail the thread.

Oh sorry I should have confused your game with another. I was thinking of that cool Solar Jetman clone with special wireframe graphics. The 1st level of that game was insane, and the other probably even harder.

Quote:
If someone have a trick to remedy this issue I'm all ears because I would prefer to keep the map as accurate as possible, without the need to improvise but I think it's not possible. hmmm...

Well, this is possible if you admit that this won't look awesome on systems that lack overscan (such as PAL systems). Anyways 99% of pleople will play it emulated and emulators typically have overscan by default (exept Nintendulator). When scrolling vertically you just write the new metatiles above what was the "black bars", scroll down your 34 metatile, and once it's done write one "black bar" of metatiles after the last row. Of course, if your scroll was previously #$f0 for example, the new scroll will be something like #$e0, but as long as you have provisions for this in your code I don't see the problem.

I do a similar thing in my game (well you'll see when it's released, hopefully in 2009). It have 6 metatiles height maps (but that's 32x32 metatiles). This doesn't correspond to the height of a nametable, which would be 7.5 metatiles (note that the first 2 Mega Man games DOES have 7.5 metatiles height maps so this is possible). I use a status bar of 4 rows (one metatile) and a overscan "black bar" of 2 rows (half metatile). When scrolling vertically, I just copy the 6 metatiles below or above the current map, and set the new scroll correctly, even if it never get aligned with nice values, it's not really a big matter (exept when coding for the menu, which have to be written to different portion of the nametable).

by on (#48949)
Bregalad wrote:
Well, this is possible if you admit that this won't look awesome on systems that lack overscan (such as PAL systems). Anyways 99% of pleople will play it emulated and emulators typically have overscan by default (exept Nintendulator). When scrolling vertically you just write the new metatiles above what was the "black bars", scroll down your 34 metatile, and once it's done write one "black bar" of metatiles after the last row. Of course, if your scroll was previously #$f0 for example, the new scroll will be something like #$e0, but as long as you have provisions for this in your code I don't see the problem.


Hmm.. Let me see if I understood it well. So basically, you never change the mirroring and just start to write where the black bar is with new data and after that your start "cursor" location offset must now be changed to the new resulting black bar. The more you go a direction, the more it's affected. That's why you must keep a reference.

I'm still early in the development of my learning project so I can change what I did anytime but right now I'm working in PPU increment 32 since it really, really make things easier for decoding for a side scroller. If the offset of the starting data change, that would make the metatile buffer writing a little bit more complicated. The idea is interesting thought.

What I had in mind (and I don't know if this is correct but the mega man series "seems" to do that) is to change the mirroring when I need to scroll up or down. This way you won't have any artifact in the over scan area. But because of the black bar... I cannot do that (I think).

I must meditate on the subject. I like the idea but that seems to make things more wicked for the buffer writing. But since the game doesn't scroll much up or down... Maybe it's not so bad. hmmm...

edit:

@_mic: Completely forgot to say some comment regarding your project, how rude of me! Now I know about some sound engine that can work on many platform, interesting. Always wanted to make a game someday on the master system (heresy for a nes forum to say that!...) since it was... my first console :)

by on (#48952)
Bregalad wrote:
When scrolling vertically, I just copy the 6 metatiles below or above the current map, and set the new scroll correctly, even if it never get aligned with nice values, it's not really a big matter

That has precedent. Screens in The Legend of Zelda are 22 tiles (5.5 attribute bytes) tall. And vertical maps in Super Mario Bros. 2 scroll up and down by 18 tile (4.5 attribute byte) chunks, alignment with screen borders or attribute values be damned.

by on (#48957)
Quote:

What I had in mind (and I don't know if this is correct but the mega man series "seems" to do that) is to change the mirroring when I need to scroll up or down. This way you won't have any artifact in the over scan area. But because of the black bar... I cannot do that (I think).

Well if you want to know Mega Man 1&2 uses vertical mirroring all the way, and Mega Man 3-6 simulates 1-screen mirroring by setting it to horizontal when scrolling horizontally and vertical when scrolling vertically. Yes it does look a bit ugly on my overscan PAL TV, but not in emulators with default settings. And 99,5% of NES games are like that (the 0.5% are games that don't scroll). And I just made those numbers up, don't take them as accurate !

by on (#48959)
I have been working on magnets :) http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=75

by on (#48961)
Cool (for people who don't share their fridge with their parent's, and for those who actually have a white fridge).

by on (#48981)
I'm waiting for another time window where I can continue work on my apocalypse engine.
I have 1-2 ideas to improve the part doing the particle/dot movement and next I want to add some sprites :)

by on (#49003)
So I was tinkering a bit with my new platform game today. And I realized I left myself what seemed like a fairly broken game to fix. It was giving me invalid opcodes, and the sprites weren't displaying correctly. Luckily I remembered that I was just testing what would happen if I made a screen's RLE tile go past the end of the screen. (Which would overwrite needed parts of my RAM with as many garbage bytes as the RLE tile ran over the screen size) After commenting out .db $80 (purposely put there so I would know when I ran into such a case) the game ran fine, and without it being there, the game just ignores RLE tiles that go too far, anyway. The game was pretty much fine, I just left a small debug test in there. Scared the pants off me.

Edit: No... wait. My sprites still aren't displaying correctly. They have transparent horizontal lines across then on certain scanlines. Something's wrong with my NMI logic, I think.

Edit2: It looks like it's because I disable and enable rendering at stupid times. Hmm...

by on (#49224)
working on an overhead shooting game in a team, got it to the point of a yet to be finished title screen and in level play. nothing to shoot or maim yet though, you can just walk around.

here's the main tool we use to actually get it all together
http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/2782/26715163.png

and here's the current rom but haven't touched it in a while. press start and move but that's all to see right now. most of level 1 layout is done!!
http://smkdan.eludevisibility.org/hunks/rom.nes

256k uorom, 128k is too small and rough estimates say everything will fit just fine into the current size.

by on (#49608)
President ( w | f ): It looks like Mario, but it isn't. I finally have the code to the point where I'm not embarrassed to take pictures:

Image
Image
Top: FCE Ultra; bottom: NES + PowerPak + Magnavox TV + Aiptek camcorder

by on (#49942)
For me, im still trying to work on my Megaman 3 rom hack. I do not have a title for it still yet. I started this project in August 2005. I didn't really get started "for reals" until sometime in mid 2006 when one day i asked on the acmlm board forums if someone would of been able to help draw a graphic of Rush for my title screen, and then eventually that person has sticked around with me ever since luckily. And that's when i decided to restart my game all over from the beginning.

Now i wanna make the best known megaman rom hack of all time, surpassing the most popular ones ever like rockman exile, and exhaust.
I would get smarter and smarter very quickly at learning 6502 ASM, and over these years, i can now do almost anything i want only if i "feel like it".

I have a very good reputation with the japanese 2ch community on the rockman/megaman dicussion 2ch boards. They know about me and my game, since i've talked there alot. And i have even talked with a few other japanese megaman rom hackers in the past.

I dont think my game is that well known really too much yet. I keep saying to myself that i seriously need to start my own project thread on acmlm, romhacking.net, or rockmanPM forums ...but i just still keep putting it off cause i dont feel ready yet. :(

But the biggest problem is that im horribly slow. i've been literally doing everything almost alone by myself. The only partner i have is that 1 guy i mentioned above, who helps with graphics and sprite design. As of today of over 3 years work on my game, i only have 1 single level done officially. :(

I am afraid im seriously never going to ever finish this
but it is my life goal until i die.
...i want to somehow someday in the future finish my game, and i hope it'll pay off, and be just as recognizeable (or more) than the the most well know of all time ever such as Dhark Daiz's Mario Adventure, that zelda parallel worlds, tweaker's Sonic Megamix, etc etc.

by on (#50152)
Working on a NSF player, which can handle to play multitracks nsf. Is nearly done, only left the music (which is going to be composed by 'sergeeo' with 7 or 8 tunes) and graphics (by 'stage7').

For test i included the Dragon Quest 2 nsf file and works and sound fine on an emulator. Not sure if it will work on a real NES, we will see :P

Image