This page is a mirror of Tepples' nesdev forum mirror (URL TBD).
Last updated on Oct-18-2019 Download

NES graphics (formatting)

NES graphics (formatting)
by on (#36169)
What is the standard bit *layout* of 2bpp (2bit per plane) NES CHR sheets?

Please draw a diagram to illustrate or something. :/

Snowbro's "Tile Molester" program I downloaded off Zophar's Domain is being retarded.

by on (#36171)
8 bytes for the low plane
then 8 bytes for the high plane

Most significant bit is in the left position

by on (#36175)
Here's half an example that might help.
Re: NES graphics (formatting)
by on (#36198)
jargon wrote:
What is the standard bit *layout* of 2bpp (2bit per plane) NES CHR sheets?

Please draw a diagram to illustrate or something. :/

Snowbro's "Tile Molester" program I downloaded off Zophar's Domain is being retarded.


Don't make me laugh, as this info is very easy to find. Do you know a site... err, better NO. ^_^;;

by on (#36200)
Dwedit wrote:
8 bytes for the low plane
then 8 bytes for the high plane

Most significant bit is in the left position


Okay, so 8 scanlines for "Lo" plane, then 8 scanlines for "Hi" plane, for 256 8x8 tiles back to back; laid out in the sheet left to right, top to bottom; "intel" bit order of left-endian? each scanline per plane being 8bits?

(Right-endian is "motorola".)

Btw, this is how my original hexdump of my font for my MISHAP.NES I have yet to complete was laid out; I guess I just converted the raw bitmap to binary wrong.

by on (#36233)
jargon wrote:
Okay, so 8 scanlines for "Lo" plane, then 8 scanlines for "Hi" plane, for 256 8x8 tiles back to back; laid out in the sheet left to right, top to bottom; "intel" bit order of left-endian? each scanline per plane being 8bits?

Correct.

Quote:
(Right-endian is "motorola".)

How is right-pixel-in-MSB "motorola"? The old Macintosh computers that used a Motorola (now Freescale) 68K CPU were left-pixel-in-MSB, and the Sega Genesis that used a Motorola MC68000 CPU was also left-pixel-in-MSB.