This page is a mirror of Tepples' nesdev forum mirror (URL TBD).
Last updated on Oct-18-2019 Download

EPROM drop in replacement for TLROM board?

EPROM drop in replacement for TLROM board?
by on (#31327)
I was wondering if anyone knew of any EPROMs that are a simple drop in replacement for TLROM boards. (I hate soldering...)

I'm looking for a 128k PRG & CHR 28/32 pin (obviously). EPROM/EEPROM/Flash whatever-kinda-chip-has-the-right-pinout =)

Also I happened to crack open a few carts the other day and I was wondering what the difference between TLROM-03 and TLROM-01 are. They use the same mapper (ines 4, mmc3) so they have to have the same pinouts, right?

by on (#31330)
There are no chips that just drop into the standard Nintendo boards, any of them will have to be rewired. Only exceptions are the very rare prototype boards.

by on (#31333)
You can use standard EPROMs/EEPROMs/FlashROMs on NROM, CNROM, MHROM, SAROM, SBROM, SEROM, AN1ROM, TBROM, TEROM, TVROM and most non-Nintendo made boards.
More specifically all chips below or equal to 64KB (or 512 kbits if you prefer) have standard pinout, while chips above or equal to 128KB (or 1MBits) have a swapped pinout, exept for non-Ninendo made boars.

I don't know if Acclaim MC-ACC boards have swapped pinout or not, if not then you'll be able to run a TLROM game on those wihtout having to do any rewiring, but I have no idea and no way to check because such boards don't exist in Europe.
The TLROM-01 and TLROM-03 boards are just revisions of the same boards, there is never significant difference between revisions, for exact differences look yourself. Often different routing/seregraphy is on the board.

by on (#31344)
bunnyboy wrote:
There are no chips that just drop into the standard Nintendo boards, any of them will have to be rewired. Only exceptions are the very rare prototype boards.


Thank you bb you just saved me a lot of datasheet reading.

I am curious tho, why they don't make eproms in the necessary pinouts. They obviously made PROMs that did. And I don't really see any advantage to using a strange pinout as the boards are doublsided PCBs.


Bregalad wrote:
You can use standard EPROMs/EEPROMs/FlashROMs on NROM, CNROM, MHROM, SAROM, SBROM, SEROM, AN1ROM, TBROM, TEROM, TVROM and most non-Nintendo made boards.


Ah yes I see now that replacement *ROMs are not board specific.

On a side not Bregald that's a lot of posts =) How long you been doing this sort of stuff?

by on (#31350)
beissemj wrote:
And I don't really see any advantage to using a strange pinout as the boards are doublsided PCBs.

For one thing, 28-pin packages were cheaper than 32-pin.