This page is a mirror of Tepples' nesdev forum mirror (URL TBD).
Last updated on Oct-18-2019 Download

Two Controllers for one Player

Two Controllers for one Player
by on (#211535)
An 8-directional pad and 4 buttons is really limited. :roll: So I've wondered... have there been any NES games (official, unofficial, homebrew) that utilized both gamepads to control one player?

I'm not talking in the sense of Contra, Jackal, or other Konami games that do that weird thing that mirrors player 1's control with both controllers.

I mean taking advantage of extra controls that have separate actions: The only thing I can think of is Operation Wolf, which lets you use a Zapper to shoot and a Gamepad to throw grenades.

But are there any games that do this with two gamepads?
Re: Two Controllers for one Player
by on (#211536)
IIRC, Smash TV has a both-controllers-for-one-player mode. Basically emulating a single dual-stick controller using both D pads.
Re: Two Controllers for one Player
by on (#211539)
I seem to remember once having seen in the Homebrew Projects a game which used two controllers for one player (although maybe I misremember).

Also, even with a limited number of buttons it is possible to have commands which need multiple buttons pushed at once. Furthermore, on Famicom it would be possible to make a game using the keyboard for input if the joypad doesn't have enough. Another alternative is to use menus, although this would be slow and take up space on the screen; I recommend the other alternatives instead if possible and reasonable, although often it isn't and menus will work better.
Re: Two Controllers for one Player
by on (#211540)
Spook-o'-tron is an upcoming homebrew that does this:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1115970826/spook-o-tron-a-halloween-themed-homebrew-game-for
Re: Two Controllers for one Player
by on (#211557)
I keep thinking you could do something like what Atari did with Spy Hunter and 3d print a box that holds 2 NES controllers together to make it easier to use buttons from the other controller.
Re: Two Controllers for one Player
by on (#211561)
Crazy Climber
Re: Two Controllers for one Player
by on (#211562)
Candelabra: Estoscerro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyP1dumzvxg
https://slydogstudios.org/
Re: Two Controllers for one Player
by on (#211565)
gauauu wrote:
I keep thinking you could do something like what Atari did with Spy Hunter and 3d print a box that holds 2 NES controllers together

Would such a box look anything like a Joy-Con Grip?
Re: Two Controllers for one Player
by on (#211566)
Rockman 4 Minus Infinity does. :)
From the english readme quote:

"* Switching Weapon
You can switch Megaman's weapon by pressing A/B of NES Port2."

So being able to go left or right like the SNES games....but with controller 2 though...
Re: Two Controllers for one Player
by on (#211575)
tepples wrote:
gauauu wrote:
I keep thinking you could do something like what Atari did with Spy Hunter and 3d print a box that holds 2 NES controllers together

Would such a box look anything like a Joy-Con Grip?


I was picturing it with both controllers in landscape position, stacked vertically, but the bottom one upside-down. So the right thumb had easy access to the A/B on controller one and the D-pad of controller 2 right below that. But I really haven't given it all that much thought.
Re: Two Controllers for one Player
by on (#211617)
lidnariq wrote:
IIRC, Smash TV has a both-controllers-for-one-player mode. Basically emulating a single dual-stick controller using both D pads.

:shock:

I've got to get this game now.

zzo38 wrote:
Furthermore, on Famicom it would be possible to make a game using the keyboard for input if the joypad doesn't have enough.

I hadn't really thought of Famicom, but I did try thinking of alternative NES input devices: Lightgun, Arkanoid pad... :? There's not a whole lot out there unless someone makes an adapter for non-NES stuff.

gauauu wrote:
I was picturing it with both controllers in landscape position, stacked vertically, but the bottom one upside-down. So the right thumb had easy access to the A/B on controller one and the D-pad of controller 2 right below that. But I really haven't given it all that much thought.

I really like the idea of this setup. It even keeps the cords out of the way of your fingers. Like this, right?

---UP--------------
LEFT--RIGHT-----B-A-
---DOWN-------------

-------------DOWN---
-A-B-----RIGHT--LEFT
--------------UP----
Re: Two Controllers for one Player
by on (#211635)
Jedi QuestMaster wrote:
gauauu wrote:
I was picturing it with both controllers in landscape position, stacked vertically, but the bottom one upside-down. So the right thumb had easy access to the A/B on controller one and the D-pad of controller 2 right below that. But I really haven't given it all that much thought.

I really like the idea of this setup. It even keeps the cords out of the way of your fingers. Like this, right?

---UP--------------
LEFT--RIGHT-----B-A-
---DOWN-------------

-------------DOWN---
-A-B-----RIGHT--LEFT
--------------UP----


Yup, that's exactly what I meant.