This page is a mirror of Tepples' nesdev forum mirror (URL TBD).
Last updated on Oct-18-2019 Download

Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )

Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144055)
Hello, My name is David from Two Coins Entertainment.

I'm a artist and have been developing mobile games using Unity3D along with a coder and we're able to produce some fun titles for PC and Mobile, however, we lack the knowledge to produce games for the NES. We are looking to develop at first a small test level of a game concept that we have planned out and then expand to build a full fledged game.

After wandering through reddit and several other pages we stumbled this amazing forum full of talented people, we've been looking at it for a while and now decided to pose.

A bit about the game :
The game is asidescroller with simple Double Dragon like combat system and movement ( with some elements of River City Ranoms ) . All graphics have been and will be prepared by us we simply need the game programmed in 6502 and able to work in an NES cartridge / emulator.

We're looking to hire a programmer who is capable of doing this on a contract.

If you have any questions feel free to ask! We can be contacted here via PM , admin (at) twocoins (dot ) net , and through skype at TwoCoinsEntertainment .

Image

Image

Image

If this is wrong section I apologize in advance!
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144056)
Just first things first, someone is going to point out that a lot of the graphics will have to be modified to respect attribute table restrictions, sprites per scanline limitations, number of colors per tile, and color choice (choosing from the NES's palette). If you haven't already, I would strongly familiarize yourself with the NES's restrictions and library of examples to make it easier to create art for it.

I see six unique colors on your character. It is not impossible to create this using two sets of overlaid sprites (a la Mario is Missing for NES) but that will quickly eat into your sprite limit which is already a huge issue for beat-em-up games that have multiple characters on one line at a time. Plus, that's already two palettes used out of the four sprite ones available.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144057)
Thanks for the advice for what we have so far. I'll definitely adjust assets to work within the limits. If there's anything so far that screams beyond capacity then I'm happy to adjust accordingly. I tried to familiarise myself as best as possible, I'll keep studying into it to make sure I'm on the right track while finding a programmer
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144059)
I'd like to work with you on this, but I have no idea how to set up the contracts and all that.

Previous completed NES games: RHDE, Thwaite, Concentration Room

Send me PM for details.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144077)
I played around with redrawing your sprite, optimized for NES. Specifically, reducing color usage, positioning color transitions to fit sprite palette limitations, and implementing a tiny bit of overlaid sprites for mario 2 - style eye whites. This is prioritized so the white overlaid parts would begin to flicker first, and the resulting image isn't too jarring (even if the eyes are totally hidden there are simpler eyes behind them to fall back on)

Image

Let me know if you are interested in any audio or NES graphics work.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144103)
Stupid question, but does the NES have those colors available in the first place? Also looking at that makes me wonder if it's really worth doing the overlaying, the face without overlay already looks pretty good in my opinion, and I bet the shirt could be easily adjusted if needed.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144120)
Driving home Sik's question even more: the question "does the NES even have these colours?" is valid, and should be followed by "if so, are the colours you're using actually decent-looking on an actual NES vs. an emulator?" Things do tend to look a bit different on an actual television (NTSC known for being called "never the same colour" for a reason), but more importantly some of those colours might not actually visually "mix" well on an actual screen (i.e. they might look fine in an emulator with a specific palette but might look like an ugly mess on actual hardware).
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144124)
So it's (at least) the 8th time someone asks to hire a programmer, but as far I know, all the previous times, nobody was ever "hired". (or it was keep ultra-secret).

The last time I already made a cynical comment like this one, and the author replied "no, no I am very serious and really willing to hire someone". Yet I am pretty sure he didn't hire anyone eventually.

Because of these precedents, I am extremely doubtful on your actual willingness to hire someone.

Also, your image is too wide for the page.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144135)
Bregalad wrote:
as far I know, all the previous times, nobody was ever "hired".

Well, just because something never happened before that doesn't mean it can't ever happen.

The biggest problem I see is that NES coders barely have time to work on their own stuff, so they can't really commit to working for someone else. The second problem I see is that people who are trying to hire coders often underestimate the amount of work that goes into creating something for the NES, and probably give up when they realize how much it'd actually cost.

I believe that for an arrangement like this to really work, the coder would have to be a little more involved with the project, so that some of the work would be done out of passion, rather than it being just about the money.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144138)
@Bregalad : My company is Two Coins Entertainment ( mobile game maker on google play ) , and I have hired somebody from this forum to work on the game! So you have a success story hopefully Bregalad.

Just to be aware, I don't under appreciate coders, I pay obviously in the "xxxx" amounts for their time to create something that works and is tangible.

We have a graphic artist who is currently on the project we will see how well they do in the next two weeks - but if I do require a better / working artist I will certainly update this thread again. I will also create a progress thread if you're all interested!

@Mike : Your work is however great ! If we do need you we'll be in touch! ( or for future projects! )
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144141)
DavidTCE wrote:
I will also create a progress thread if you're all interested!

That'd be nice!
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144147)
One question every graphic designer for a 2D game should ask herself: What is a meter? I can think of a few things that are close:
  • Length of pendulum with period 2 seconds
  • 1/40,000,000 of the planet's circumference
  • Distance light travels through vacuum in 1/300,000,000 second
  • Length of each side of a Image Koopature Science Floating Storage Cube
  • A number of pixels that should be consistent at the same depth level of any given scene
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144165)
DavidTCE wrote:
@Bregalad : My company is Two Coins Entertainment ( mobile game maker on google play ) , and I have hired somebody from this forum to work on the game! So you have a success story hopefully Bregalad.

It's nice to hear that. I don't really care either way, but it's the first time I hear someone here actually being hired. (It seems it went extremely fast) I hope that the project will be a succes. (if it is I'll end up myself considering hiring people to finish my projects hehe...)
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144235)
koitsu wrote:
Driving home Sik's question even more: the question "does the NES even have these colours?" is valid, and should be followed by "if so, are the colours you're using actually decent-looking on an actual NES vs. an emulator?" Things do tend to look a bit different on an actual television (NTSC known for being called "never the same colour" for a reason), but more importantly some of those colours might not actually visually "mix" well on an actual screen (i.e. they might look fine in an emulator with a specific palette but might look like an ugly mess on actual hardware).

Yeah that too, the two skin colors are so close that it may be bordering on being potentially a waste. Makes sense when your palette has 15 colors, but when it only has 3 and few palettes it becomes an issue in my opinion.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144306)
Quote:
It's nice to hear that. I don't really care either way, but it's the first time I hear someone here actually being hired. (It seems it went extremely fast) I hope that the project will be a succes. (if it is I'll end up myself considering hiring people to finish my projects hehe...)


Yes I had a very good applicant with some credentials apply, although in the future we may be developing multiple titles at once if this one goes well so I'm always interested in meeting more people in the development community!

Thanks everyone for all your help!
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#144309)
koitsu wrote:
Driving home Sik's question even more: the question "does the NES even have these colours?" is valid, and should be followed by "if so, are the colours you're using actually decent-looking on an actual NES vs. an emulator?" Things do tend to look a bit different on an actual television (NTSC known for being called "never the same colour" for a reason), but more importantly some of those colours might not actually visually "mix" well on an actual screen (i.e. they might look fine in an emulator with a specific palette but might look like an ugly mess on actual hardware).


I don't think the question is really going to break anything, though. As NES art is more or less always simple, tweaking or even completely re-doing a palette doesn't ruin a project or take a huge amount of time compared to any modern platform. The colors I used were completely made up with ones I thought would be reasonable for the NES to produce, knowing they'd have to be later replaced with appropriate ones. In this sort of situation my solution is to make the art as I'd like to see it, then quantize the colors to what the NES palette can produce, and see how the results are. If it's no good, try other palettes.

Here, I edited it to use palette colors pulled from a rendition of the NES palette;

Image

The skin shading tone isn't perfect, but it's not far off enough that I'm upset by it. The loss of definition from its removal would necessitate different art.

EDIT: I think I prefer this version now, actually - the skin tones don't turn from yellow-ish to pink-ish as much.

tepples wrote:
One question every graphic designer for a 2D game should ask herself: What is a meter? I can think of a few things that are close:
  • Length of pendulum with period 2 seconds
  • 1/40,000,000 of the planet's circumference
  • Distance light travels through vacuum in 1/300,000,000 second
  • Length of each side of a Image Koopature Science Floating Storage Cube
  • A number of pixels that should be consistent at the same depth level of any given scene


I think this question is important in some contexts, but not all. In a game that is attempting to convey a sense of realism in other areas, be it physics, plot, or anything else, the artist will likely wish to continue this theme in the art. So, relative proportions for most of the art is important in keeping the theme believable.

In most (nearly all?) games for the NES, designers opted to abstract things like character designs and the appearance of the worlds they create. It could be to better respect and utilize the limitations of the system, or be just a stylistic choice. As a result, many games have a more "cartoonish" look - charracters have extra large heads to allow a larger canvas for facial expression, doors might be exactly the same height as the player, the vegetables in Mario 2 are huge compared to Mario (despite the Nintendo Power Mario 2 cover depicting them as something that fits easily in his hand). These 'inaccuracies of scale' are perfectly acceptable because they represent an idea that is supposed to be fleshed out in the mind of the player.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#145140)
DavidTCE wrote:
@Bregalad : My company is Two Coins Entertainment ( mobile game maker on google play ) , and I have hired somebody from this forum to work on the game! So you have a success story hopefully Bregalad.

I can announce that I was hired.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#145142)
Cool, I'm pretty confident you'll do a great job.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#145413)
Congrats, this is history in the making. Should be interesting to see how a paid project compares to the typical hobby homebrew.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#145486)
I'd be interested in publishing your game.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#145521)
Well this is an interesting subject, I hope the project goes well for everyone involved!

@Mike: I think it'd be better for you to say "a good chunk" as opposed to "most" or "nearly all", regarding stylized graphics being used to compensate for the NES' limitations. For example, Konami's NES characters have been jokingly referred to as being "faceless" because they were mostly going for a realistic look with some stylization thrown in. Ironically enough, their faceless characters even went as far as MGS1 for the PS1, where Snake barely even had a face. Then there's the various Japanese mystery games that like to use realistic portraits of people, and Power Blade being a well known example of "Americanizing" a Japanese game, right down to using realistic graphics compared to the original's anime like graphics.

In short, realistic graphical styles were somewhat present on the NES, but the stylized style works much better for most games due to the console's restrictions. Conveniently enough, the more "chibi-ish" designs look more "infantile", and as such used when the technology was also considered to be "infantile". If nothing else, I dare say console hardware becoming sufficient enough for realistic graphics around 6th gen was the reason why most 3D games stopped being stylized collectathons, and expanded into new, uncharted territories.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#145659)
OneCrudeDude wrote:
Well this is an interesting subject, I hope the project goes well for everyone involved!

@Mike: I think it'd be better for you to say "a good chunk" as opposed to "most" or "nearly all", regarding stylized graphics being used to compensate for the NES' limitations. For example, Konami's NES characters have been jokingly referred to as being "faceless" because they were mostly going for a realistic look with some stylization thrown in. Ironically enough, their faceless characters even went as far as MGS1 for the PS1, where Snake barely even had a face. Then there's the various Japanese mystery games that like to use realistic portraits of people, and Power Blade being a well known example of "Americanizing" a Japanese game, right down to using realistic graphics compared to the original's anime like graphics.


I think I may have been unclear in what I was talking about. I am referring to action sprites in common genres like platforming, top-down adventure, arcade-type maze games, etc. Larger portaits in story scenes or RPG panes are totally fair game, and I hadn't thought of those.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#149852)
"Is this Battletoads?"

Some people are fans of CHR ROM because it allows rapid switching of tiles for smooth animation of the player character. But in Kirby's Adventure, it ends up causing a lot of duplication because all frames of all enemies on screen at once need to fit in the same 2K bank of enemy tiles. So instead, I'm a fan of the Battletoads technique of loading sprite tiles into video memory as they're needed. I've already described how this works on Game Boy Advance, but the NES has far less video memory bandwidth and thus needs a bit more clever technique.

The engine I'm developing for this project has four object slots in video memory: one for the hero and three for enemies. These occupy CHR RAM $1800-$19FF, $1A00-$1BFF, $1C00-$1DFF, and $1E00-$1FFF. Each slot is divided into a pair of 16-tile buffers, plus several variables in main RAM:
  • Current cel: The cel ID currently being displayed in this slot.
  • Next cel: The cel ID whose tile data needs to be loaded into the back buffer of this slot.
  • Current buffer: Whether the slot's first or second buffer is its front buffer.
  • Information about what data has been loaded into each buffer of each slot.
In addition, a set of request flags controls which sprites should be switched to the next cel as soon as they are completely loaded.

On each frame that doesn't have any updates to tiles or map caused by scrolling, the sprite cel loader finds pieces of a cel to load. It prioritizes slots whose request bit is set, switching buffers and clearing the request bit if the cel is ready and loading a piece into the VRAM transfer buffer if not. Up to 8 tiles can be copied in each frame (NTSC without extended blanking). If a particular frame uses all 16 tiles, its update is split across two frames.

If there is still no scheduled VRAM transfer after the loader has processed all request bits, it loads pieces of the next cel speculatively. Speculative loading sets the next cel to the frame most likely to follow a slot's current cel, such as the next cel of a walk cycle. I count about five mispredicts per second on average, usually when an enemy spawns or when the player takes an unpredicted action, such as jumping, stopping a walk, beginning a punch combo, allowing a punch combo to expire, or taking a hit. A mispredict may delay loading a cel for a frame or two But otherwise, speculative loading puts a cel into VRAM just when it is needed, allowing the player and enemies to be animated at an acceptable frame rate.

The metasprite drawing code uses values $00-$7F normally for constant tiles. It uses $80-$8F for these switchable slots, ORing in the start tile of current buffer of the slot being drawn.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#149895)
Any idea how long this project may take? Is there a timeline? I'm curious what the process is for plotting out such a project. I'm assuming you already had experience from previous side-scrolling engines, so you weren't starting from scratch.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#156810)
This was my first side-scrolling platformer engine. The game was finished on Sunday, leaving cut scenes (me) and music engine replacement (someone else). I have about one night left of cut scene work. Finally there is light at the end of this tunnel.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#156812)
:)
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#156813)
Nice! Will you be able to show us anything?
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#156842)
I'm looking forward to seeing it. I really like your speculative CHR loading idea, I'm wondering if it shows through in the game.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#156844)
I found the store that will be selling it.

Cash-In Culture
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#156850)
Looks interesting. Maybe this will be the alternative to "Ghoul School" that doesn't suck.
(I like the setup of "Ghoul School" with monsters and demons in a modern-day setting, but the gameplay sucks ass.)

Any official concrete release day yet, other than fall 2015?
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#156856)
Is the player sprite final? It really doesn't match the look of the rest of the game.

EDIT: Never mind, I see the splash image on the site there is a mock-up. I look forward to seeing what you've done with the development of the game.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157435)
I picked up a cart at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo this weekend. Excellent work tepples! It felt really polished.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157437)
They already sold the cartridge? Because I'm really curious. That's the first modern NES game that really caught my attention and that I consider buying. But first of all I need to know a bit more about it. So, would you mind telling us a bit about the game or maybe uploading a video of the gameplay of the first level?
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157438)
I'll buy it when it's available. Halloween's getting really close though so I hope it goes for sale in the next couple of days...
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157440)
I'll try and record some gameplay tonight after work.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157528)
Just a note to everyone. WE DID IT! We went from 0 to Final with the full game production cycle and managed to complete the game thanks to some very awesome members that were grabbed from this very forum! I hope Bregalad now hires someone from here haha !

Will edit with more info about game shortly!
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157529)
I'd be happy to get to know two or three things:

1. When and where can we buy it?

2. Is there any gameplay video? I'd like to get a first impression. So, if you or anybody could upload someone playing the first level or so, that would be fine.

3. Is the game's story or maybe the whole manual available online?
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157530)
1. It will be available on www.cashinculture.com as soon as we get enough copies made to post it. We will keep you posted on the quantity. The more requests we have for a copy the more we'll order on carts!

2. We're working on a trailer. We had several people want to interview us at PRGE and one guy who is making a video about the game. He too is asking for game play footage so we'll get on that ASAP.

3. Manual coming in a couple weeks.

We appreciate everyone who came out to play the game, it was a true experience and since this is our first NES production that has made it to this level we absolutely appreciate everybody who bothered to even come see us, you all made it entirely worthwhile !
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157532)
If the manual will only come in a few weeks, I'd like to know about the story of the game, if it has any.
Alternately, if the story is told in the intro of the game, I'll wait for the gameplay video.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157541)
Until the videos are up, here's the opening scroll text. There are pictures and brief animations, but I left out the pictures because phpBB doesn't let me post them all in one post.

Code:
Let me tell yinz about
Halloween.. In 1985..
The things I saw and
creatures I battled.

My name is Donny -
Donny Johnstown -
at least that's what
my friends call me...
cause I'm Donny...
from Johnstown.
I just moved here to
Possum Hollow and I'm
the reason this town
is no longer haunted!

I saved everyone from
the haunts that were
destroying this town.

This is how it all
went down......



I woke in a total panic!
I'd overslept cause I
was up all night playing
the NES.

I totally missed the bus
and had no way to get to
school.

And if I didn't get
there, I wouldn't be
allowed to go to the
Halloween Dance after
school, which meant no
holding hands with Tami...

which meant no Tami and
Donny sitting in a tree.....



That couldn't happen!
I had no choice...
I'd have to run all
the way to school!

It would take me for-ev-er
but I had to do it.

Tami would think I ditched
her if I didn't make it
to the dance and that
just couldn't happen.
I had big plans for us!



If I could just make it
to school by last period,
I could sneak into
Miss Beluschok's class -
that old lady had always
been blind as a bat,
she'd never know I had
been missing.

And so off I went...



...all the way through
old-man Dunmore's
cornfield...

Every Halloween we'd take
corn from Haunted Harry's
field for corning houses.
We'd always heard crazy
stories about him but
never actually saw anyone
on the farm.
Late at night though we
would always hear strange
noises coming from the
big red barn.



...past the mall...

As much as I wanted to,
there was no time to
stop by the arcade.
There was no time for
games, this was serious.



...and through the woods...

It felt like the school
was a million miles away!
The woods were dense and
there were jagger bushes
everywhere that slowed me
down but nothing would
keep me from that dance.
I was getting close...



...finally...

My school!

but...

Something happened here...
the place was trashed!



Serum Soda Count: 5

Kill Count: 0
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157543)
Sounds good so far.

I was hoping to get the actual background story, though. You know, the reason why there are monsters and zombies in the first place. (Is this a world like in "Buffy"? Or are the monsters a one-time occurence? Etc.)

Is this story something that's supposed to be unknown until later in the game? Because otherwise, the intro text is really just a teaser and not actually the plot. Good for the game itself when playing it, but not so good when trying to get general information.
If it's not some kind of twist, I was hoping more for a summary like in:
"You are a boy from highschool and due to a magic spell/a curse/whatever, your town is run over by zombies."
Or: "You realize that this town isn't like other towns since monsters and demons are on the loose here."
Or: "Every hundred years, the town is plagued by ghosts."

As you can see, I'm interested in the "nature" of the whole haunting.
This, and seeing the gameplay.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157643)
Sooo, any gameplay footage out yet?
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157799)
I'd still like to know the direction taken with the graphics. The original sprite can't be simply displayed on the NES as-is, and I'm wondering (hoping) a new design has been created.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157801)
Attachment:
Donny_compromise.png
Donny_compromise.png [ 679 Bytes | Viewed 3292 times ]

From left to right: original art, in-game appearance, breakdown into 3-color sprites

I store both 'p' and 'q' variations of the overlay sprites so that the 'p' remains a 'p' when flipped.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157857)
I need to ask once again: When will we see some actual gameplay footage?

The game is the only recent NES game that really caught my attention. But before I buy it, I need to see something from the game. I need to see what the gameplay looks like.

You don't need to do a trailer. Just get someone to sit in front of a TV and play the first level. Or play it on an emulator and enable the video recording. Whatever.

The game is advertised for a few days now, but the only thing we actually get to see is one single image:
https://cashinculture.3dcartstores.com/ ... ebsite.png

I would be willing to order it. As soon as I see at least a few seconds of gameplay to make sure that this doesn't play and feel like something that I don't like.
(For example, if it turns out that it is a beat em up like "Double Dragon" or "Final Fight" instead of a sidescroller/platformer/jump n run like "Super Mario Bros.", "Mega Man", "Castlevania" or "Ninja Gaiden", then the game wouldn't be for me.)

And I assume putting up at least something would be beneficial for everybody who is interested in the game.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157858)
I too am interested in seeing some gameplay footage.

DRW wrote:
the only thing we actually get to see is one single image:
https://cashinculture.3dcartstores.com/ ... ebsite.png

Which isn't even final, considering tepples' sprite breakdown above.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157859)
I'm sure they'll post a footage when they're ready to post footage. Just be patient. Even if they're sitting on some glorious gameplay footage they already have, that's probably for a reason. Asking the same question every few days won't do much.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157861)
Kasumi wrote:
I'm sure they'll post a footage when they're ready to post footage.

I consider this:
DavidTCE wrote:
Just a note to everyone. WE DID IT! We went from 0 to Final with the full game production cycle and managed to complete the game thanks to some very awesome members that were grabbed from this very forum!
the very definition of "ready".

Kasumi wrote:
Just be patient. Even if they're sitting on some glorious gameplay footage they already have, that's probably for a reason.

Maybe it is for a reason, maybe it isn't. Maybe it is for a shitty reason.

For example, maybe they want to create some fancy trailer. You know, a trailer with a voiceover where you never see more than three consecutive seconds of gameplay:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ3clCcwHFc

But I don't care. I don't want a trailer. I want to see someone playing the game. This should be the "trailer". I don't need some voiceover that tries to set me in the mood for the game. I don't need some cut together scenes. Just sit down for five minutes, play the game, record it and put it on YouTube.

Kasumi wrote:
Asking the same question every few days won't do much.

Maybe it won't, but maybe it will. Maybe they realize that they should concentrate on actually presenting the game as it is instead of wasting time putting together a trailer, as they said.
But I know one thing that definitely won't get us anything any faster: Doing absolutely nothing.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157867)
To get a video of level 1 "School" faster, answer this question:

I'm having trouble finding an NES emulator for Linux that records video. I tried rendering FM2 to AVI in FCEUX in Wine, and it converted about two seconds. Which emulator do you suggest? Or can it wait until I'm on a Windows box? Or will I need to hook up my DVD recorder?
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157870)
I don't know an emulator for Linux. I work on Windows exclusively.

tepples wrote:
Or can it wait until I'm on a Windows box? Or will I need to hook up my DVD recorder?

I'm sensing a bit of bitterness/sarcasm here. But be honest: Isn't it indeed a bad idea to advertise a game for weeks with only one screenshot? Wasn't my complaint absolutely justified?

I mean, it's not like the game wasn't ready for showing. If you guys publish it on a convention and people play it:
https://scontent-fra3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... e=56C9BFCB
you could have easily made a video: Take out a smartphone and film the TV when somebody plays the game. It would still have been better than showing one still image on the website and nothing else.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157871)
I think the real reason DavidTCE hasn't responded to your repeated query, DRW, is that doesn't check this thread every single day like you do.

If you check his user profile, you'd see that he hasn't even been to this website in about a week (i.e. since the last time he posted in this thread). Repeating yourself doesn't make him come and check the thread any more often. :P

If you really want to know, why don't you contact him through his website?
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157872)
My post wasn't exclusively directed towards David. Anybody who could provide gameplay footage, be it Tepples, mustardseed or whoever, would be of help to me.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157880)
I would like to see this project succeed, but if there isn't a strong marketing push, you're going to miss out on your prime window. Who wants to play a Halloween themed game during Thanksgiving or Christmas?

I agree with DRW that it's very odd that there seems to be no gameplay or even screenshots anywhere. I'm sure someone could at least take some emulator screen caps, or a smart phone video. Why sink so much time and money into a project and not properly promote it? Why have I not seen any news articles or reviews for this? See this for example: www.popularmechanics.com/culture/gaming ... ideo-game/

I was looking forward to this, as it's the first retro project on record that a homebrewer was hired to do. If it succeeds, it may help elevate the scene in general, and open the door for more releases in the future.


PS: Maybe you could re-skin the game for the other holidays. Imagine beating up Santa's elves or the Easter bunny.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157915)
Now on YouTube
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157936)
I just buy game 50 federal reserve notes.

Not sure if include box/manual/swag.

Look forward to commence play.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157951)
Is this 8x8 BG collision?

From the video is looks like you have some interesting collision routines.

He jumped over the sloped door so we didn't get to see how that worked, but I noticed the bleachers have lengths that differ by less than 16 pixels. Also, the piles of dirt have a fine collision detection.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157954)
darryl.revok wrote:
Is this 8x8 BG collision?

There's an RLE heightmap at 8x4 pixel resolution, combined with rectangular slabs for ceilings and platforms-above-platforms. The bleachers are zero-height slabs, which allow passing upward. Stairs smaller than 8 pixels tall are treated as slopes.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157955)
That's pretty impressive. It looks nice and smooth, and the tunes are SWEET!

There's a ton of story so DRW should be happy. I'm more of a press start kinda guy. :)
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157956)
darryl.revok wrote:
There's a ton of story so DRW should be happy.

On the other hand, it does feel quite a lot like a beat 'em up (with more platforming than the typical beat 'em up, though), a style that apparently he doesn't like.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157960)
darryl.revok wrote:
There's a ton of story so DRW should be happy.

In general, I don't care for story in games that much. It's fine when they have it, but it wouldn't matter if they didn't.
The remark that I once made about a game with a good plot was referring to the desire to have one specific game that has a really good storyline.
And in that statement, I was talking more about action RPGs where the story is told through the fact that you can talk to people and walk around wherever you want. I was not talking about "Ninja Gaiden"-like cutscenes.
If you want to see the 8 bit game with, in my opinion, the best in-game story, have a look at "Final Fantasy Adventure".


Alright, now to the game itself:


tokumaru wrote:
On the other hand, it does feel quite a lot like a beat 'em up (with more platforming than the typical beat 'em up, though), a style that apparently he doesn't like.

I don't mind the style in that game. I only hate these games where the screen stops until you have defeated all opponents and where the opponents take many hits until they're defeated. Those beat em ups are just so slow-paced. In "Haunted Halloween", you just need to attack the opponents two or three times and you can defeat them on the go, so that's fine.


Visually, you have created a really great atmosphere. But there are some things that I have issues with.


Firstly, the music.
That's really the worst part of the game.
The title screen music is o.k. But the intro and level music is really unpleasant.


Secondly, perspective:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGf0ivVHPnU&t=5m45s
What the... :shock: Did the character just jump into the background graphics?

How could you make this stand in the background an actual platform? Visually, this is totally wrong.
You're standing in the middle of the floor. It even has an isometric perspective which give it a 3D feel and a pretty clear picture of the character's Y-axis. But the movement remains a straight left/right thing and therefore purely 2D.
Now, you jump right up and suddenly you're standing on the third stair from the background.
Are we supposed to believe that the character made a big diagonal jump into the screen?

And later the same problem: You let yourself fall from the right edge of the stairs and suddenly you're standing in the middle of the floor again.


Next thing that I noticed: Why does the guy live in a giant's house?
Image


Then: You have two animation phases for the character in the cutscenes:
Image

Why don't you use them when you let him run?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGf0ivVHPnU&t=2m21s

Why do you always use just one of these images per scene instead of switching every few frames to give it some abstract rendition of movement?

Then a minor complaint:
Image

Elementary school? So, we're not playing a teenager like in most of these works? The zombie apocalypse was thwarted by some 10 year old boy?


So, my feedback might have been a bit negative, but I thought after I asked for it so many times, I owned you more feedback than just "Pretty nice game."
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157963)
:roll:

I really liked the level music. I thought it was great NES music. Really cool synth effects with the stuttering and slides.

I did skip the story. Maybe that song wasn't good.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157964)
DRW wrote:
Firstly, the music.
That's really the worst part of the game.
The title screen music is o.k. But the intro and level music is really unpleasant.

Originally the plan was that I'd take the FTMs that the composer gave me and cover the music in my (space- and memory-efficient) engine. But at the very end, the composer became annoyed that my engine couldn't do portamento, and rainwarrior was brought on to make an engine that could play the original FTMs.

Here's a quick comparison:
Attachment:
File comment: Haunted: Halloween '85 School background music version
0:00 Original version (which ended up going in the game)
0:44 My cover version

Haunted_School_versions.ogg [838.7 KiB]
Downloaded 195 times


DRW wrote:
Are we supposed to believe that the character made a big diagonal jump into the screen?

Yes. I was as confused as you are, but that's how it was explained to me when I was given the platform map.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157966)
DRW wrote:
Secondly, perspective:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGf0ivVHPnU&t=5m45sWhat the... Did the character just jump into the background graphics?

Yes, but in that situation, it wouldn't effect gameplay. Most people would have tried to jump that gap normally with a running start, and would have gone "oh, ok" when they find themselves on the bleachers that where in the background. By the next time around where the gap is too wide, they would have known what to do immediately, so it's not like it's some cryptic thing to hinder your progress.

DRW wrote:
The title screen music is o.k. But the intro and level music is really unpleasant.

I got to agree. :/

DRW wrote:
Then: You have two animation phases for the character in the cutscenes: Why don't you use them when you let him run?

I also thought it looked really strange having the characters legs kind of slide while his torso up remain perfectly still. It looks kind of like he's skating.

DRW wrote:
Elementary school? So, we're not playing a teenager like in most of these works? The zombie apocalypse was thwarted by some 10 year old boy?

As if a 14 year old thwarting the zombie apocalypse is much better? :lol:

I like the graphics and how it doesn't look as "blocky" as a lot of NES games, but to be completely honest, I kind of like the "revamped" version of the main character a little more. I think the characters eyes are too far spread apart or something, or maybe it's that he doesn't have a nose but his face is large and he's just about looking straight at you, so it looks kind of empty.

DRW wrote:
Next thing that I noticed: Why does the guy live in a giant's house?

You mean you don't have bed that's 6 times wider your height? :lol:
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157968)
I'm all for constructive criticism. It's often a lot more valuable than positive criticism. However, I just have to say, how is nit-picking every aspect of this game helping anyone, or the NES homebrew community?

Everybody's been on tepples to make a platformer, and he makes something in a few months with really impressive collision detection and an advanced CHR-RAM loading technique, and now that's not good for anybody?

Sure there are flaws. Every game has flaws. But it's done. How is this helping? I almost feel like people are justifying not being willing to spend the money to support the community and the work of someone who's undoubtedly ten times a better programmer.

I kind of wish the "put up or shut up" guy from a few days ago would show up so I wouldn't have to be the one to say this.

Please tell me I'm not the only one thinking this.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157970)
darryl.revok wrote:
I'm all for constructive criticism. It's often a lot more valuable than positive criticism. However, I just have to say, how is nit-picking every aspect of this game helping anyone, or the NES homebrew community?

Everybody's been on tepples to make a platformer, and he makes something in a few months with really impressive collision detection and an advanced CHR-RAM loading technique, and now that's not good for anybody?

Sure there are flaws. Every game has flaws. But it's done. How is this helping? I almost feel like people are justifying not being willing to spend the money to support the community and the work of someone who's undoubtedly ten times a better programmer.

I kind of wish the "put up or shut up" guy from a few days ago would show up so I wouldn't have to be the one to say this.

Please tell me I'm not the only one thinking this.


Hey, I'm still here :) You're right, and this is exactly the kind of attitude that is spoiling the NesDev forums in my opinion.

Please, let's celebrate the successes that members here have without criticising everything they do. If you can do better, do it. Congratulate fellow members on their achievements, constructive criticism is always helpful, but picking apart every little part of what they've done is just petty and smells like jealousy. Good work tepples :)
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157974)
tepples wrote:
Here's a quick comparison:
Attachment:
Haunted_School_versions.ogg

It is slightly less annoying. But only slightly. The whole soundtrack would need an overhaul. Just because this game has "Haunted" in the title does not mean it needs to sound like a ghost that's chasing you. "Castlevania" and "Ghoul School" don't have those shreaking sound effects either.

tepples wrote:
Yes. I was as confused as you are, but that's how it was explained to me when I was given the platform map.

Good thing I wasn't hired. (Apart from the fact that I couldn't have managed such a project on the NES anyway, but that's beside the point here.) I'm pretty sure I would have told the designer off many times.

Espozo wrote:
Yes, but in that situation, it wouldn't effect gameplay.

I didn't say it does. But it hurts the inner consistency of the scene. It's a visual fault and a very amateurish one. My graphics designer would kick my ass if I proposed something like that for my game to her.

Espozo wrote:
As if a 14 year old thwarting the zombie apocalypse is much better? :lol:

No, but some 18 year old jock. I mean, seriously, these kinds of stories always have teenagers as protagonists. And now we're playing with a guy that is the same age as Bart Simpson? Nah, this just doesn't feel right for this setting. "Ghoul School", "Zombies Are My Neighbors" and "Boo - Haunted House" did it right.
Besides, this totally eliminates the possibility of some eyecandy/fanservice girlfriend for the hero in the sequel or in any additional material. Unless the next part is "Haunted Halloween '93".


The game has potential, but there are just too many things that have "homebrew" written all over it. And ironically, it's not the technical/coding stuff, like sprite artifacts or the gameplay physics. Instead, it's the design choices which, after all, ultimately have nothing to do with programming. There is no need to use a totally out-of-scale room. There is no need to do logic-breaking perspective tricks.
tepples, you really should have had a word with the designer of the game. (Unless you did and he was just stubborn.)


darryl.revok wrote:
However, I just have to say, how is nit-picking every aspect of this game helping anyone, or the NES homebrew community?

I'm not nitpicking. And even if I do: Well, it helps the community because when they read it, they might not repeat the error. Not criticizing anything wouldn't help the community.

darryl.revok wrote:
Everybody's been on tepples to make a platformer, and he makes something in a few months with really impressive collision detection and an advanced CHR-RAM loading technique, and now that's not good for anybody?

As far as I see it, tepples is not the one to blame here. Yes, it's impressive what he did.
But whoever did these strange design choices really has no excuse: These things that I "nitpicked" have nothing to do with technical limitations, nor with coding skills. So I can mention them even if I think that the technical implementation is great.
But the problems have nothing to do with anything that's related to techniques of NES programming.
Not to draw a usable platform like that or putting the character and the environment to scale, that's just a matter of design competence.

Or to say it like this: If you get a competent NES programmer to make a real game, make sure that the quality of your design choices are equally competent.

darryl.revok wrote:
Sure there are flaws. Every game has flaws. But it's done. How is this helping? I almost feel like people are justifying not being willing to spend the money to support the community and the work of someone who's undoubtedly ten times a better programmer.

Believe me, I didn't think for one second about money when I wrote this.
Firstly, not at all would I need a justification not to buy a game. If I don't want to buy a game, I don't.
Secondly, I wanted to buy this game. Why do you think did I ask so eagerly for a gameplay video?

darryl.revok wrote:
I kind of wish the "put up or shut up" guy from a few days ago would show up so I wouldn't have to be the one to say this.

First of all, this is a stupid argument to begin with, unless the critic explicitly says "I could do better." But as long as he doesn't say it, he can criticize as much as he likes.
According to your logic, nobody is allowed to criticize, for example, the "Star Wars" prequels because: Can you create a better "Star Wars" movie?

Secondly, I'm indeed working on my own NES game. Shouldn't take too long anymore until it's finished. It won't be a full-blown jump n run, more a highscore game. From the complexity, think about slightly more complex than "Kung Fu", but still much less complex than "Super Mario Bros.".

And yes, if you see the game, you're free to criticize everything that I did wrong.

Although, I'd ask you to do this when I publish the prototype, not only when the game is on cartridge. Because I'm planning to take suggestions and to implement them when I think they're resonable.
This is also something that the guy from this game could have done better. (And where I can only answer your "put up or shut up" with a simple: "Yes, as soon as my time comes, I will "put up" something, namely a prototype ROM.) He could have shown something from the game before it was finished, so that people can give their input. I'm not even talking about a ROM, just some videos.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157975)
darryl.revok wrote:
I'm all for constructive criticism. It's often a lot more valuable than positive criticism. However, I just have to say, how is nit-picking every aspect of this game helping anyone, or the NES homebrew community?

I thought all the problems listed where pretty precise and not very vague, other than "the music isn't good".

darryl.revok wrote:
the work of someone who's undoubtedly ten times a better programmer.

I don't ever think anyone was complaining about the programming aspect of the game. It looks really solid there.

darryl.revok wrote:
Sure there are flaws. Every game has flaws. But it's done. How is this helping?

is it impossible to fix flaws? :lol: This game is still being worked on isn't it, or was it actually supposed to be done in time for Halloween, because in that case, sorry for the criticism. Anything said badly against this could always be considered in another project though.

fishybawb wrote:
If you can do better, do it.

You just wait... about five years. :lol:

I do have to say one thing though: the one thing I personally find more irritating than needless nitpicking is people defaulting on social norms just so they don't seem like a jerk, like being afraid to say anything negative, just like how people were so scared to say anything about Iwata that could potentially not be seen as positive. It doesn't matter how hard someone works on something if it still sucks, which I'm definitely not saying this does because it's actually pretty good for the most part.

Edit: (sort of) DRW posted before I got this done, but I'm too lazy to read it and change my post based off of it. :/

Edit 2: Oh tepples, I just listened to what you did to the song and it sound better. There was some sort of weird static sound present in the song in the video you removed to make it sound (in my opinion) better. Something about the original sounded all over the place. I'm not sure if that was the point or not, but I just think that it sounds worse that way.
Haunted: Halloween '85
by on (#157978)
I'll disagree with naysayers. my perception:

Title screen: Wow, that's good for NES. (Why am I thinking of Dr. Chaos?)
Intro graphics: Wow, that's good for NES. (Long, too. I do hope it's skippable!)
Graphics: Wow, that's good for NES. I don't feel the grid.
Music: Wow, that's good for NES. Not instant-earworms, but quite good.

Gameplay: Looks good? Hard to judge on video.

It definitely shows strong technical aptitude with the system. It'd definitely have been a selling point back in the day.

As for homebrew-ness, the only thing that stood out to me was the "1+1=2A03".
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157979)
DRW wrote:
tepples, you really should have had a word with the designer of the game. (Unless you did and he was just stubborn.)

I doubt giving design advice was in tepples' job description. I can certainly understand why/if he didn't want to get involved in design decisions.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157980)
Re: naysayers

fishybawb wrote:
If you can do better, do it.

I agree. Once the game is done, there's no point in saying "blah blah music sucks" or "this animation looks weird". Keep the negativity to yourself.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157981)
I just now had a revelation in my life that made it to where all I can say is positive things, so I think I'll look over the game again.

Title screen: WOW!!! That's absolutely amazing for even the PS4!!!
Intro graphics: WOW!!! That's absolutely amazing for even the PS4!!! (Perfect length, too. I hope it's not skippable so no one doesn't read the amazing award winning story!!!)
Graphics: WOW!!! That's absolutely amazing for even the PS4!!! It looks better than real life!!!
Music: WOW!!! That's absolutely amazing for even the PS4!!! Instant-earworms!!!

Myask wrote:
Gameplay: Looks good? Hard to judge on video.

Don't be a sour puss. :wink: it's obviously THE BEST GAMEPLAY EVER!!!!!!!!!!

It absolutely, undoubtedly, is the most technically impressive achievement ever. More NESs and FCs than atoms in the universe would have been sold so people could play this masterpiece.

As for homebrew-ness, the only thing that stood out to me was NOTHING!!!

GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!!!!!!!



You can kill me now... :lol:
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157982)
Espozo wrote:
people defaulting on social norms just so they don't seem like a jerk, like being afraid to say anything negative


At least for me, I don't think it's that. It's a matter of whether or not it's beneficial in any way to say something negative. In this situation, I really don't see it. I'm pretty sure the game is shipping. It is currently for sale.

I'm pretty new here but I realize there's a lot of backstory with tepples making games and getting negative responses. I can understand if some people feel his talents were underutilized in puzzle games. But people, in general need some sort of motivation to keep doing something passionately. I'm sure tepples really likes this forum. He finally makes the type of game people have been asking him to make for what, ten years or something. Do we really need to tear it apart for design decisions that weren't even his?

Don't we want to see the game succeed whether we like it or not? Let's give it a big strong push by trashing it!

I think your comments were more balanced and weren't actually what spurred me to post that. It just so happened that I came back and posted after you did. To be straightforward it was DRW's approach that irked me.

I'm all for the mentality that censorship isn't called for, but considering how another person may feel, or considering how things like words may have real world consequences, is not wrong in most cases.

Plus to be honest, I like what I saw of the game. The run animation looks really silly. There. I said a criticism, so I'm not lying when I say I like it.

Honestly, DRW, I'm not going to bother responding more than saying this: I almost think you are only here to troll people. I get that impression when you do things like this and when you constantly ask extremely specific trivia questions and then reject all of the responses with arbitrary criteria that were not previously disclosed. Ugh.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157983)
darryl.revok wrote:
I think your comments were more balanced and weren't actually what spurred me to post that. It just so happened that I came back and posted after you did. To be straightforward it was DRW's approach that irked me.

Maybe I should just delete my long joke then... :lol:

darryl.revok wrote:
you constantly ask extremely specific trivia questions and then reject all of the responses with arbitrary criteria that were not previously disclosed

Does anyone know of any homebrew NES games with a character named DRW who asks a bunch of random trivia questions?
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157984)
dougeff wrote:
Once the game is done, there's no point in saying "blah blah music sucks" or "this animation looks weird". Keep the negativity to yourself.


Firstly, we should all remember that Tepples was a hired hand, and not the creative force behind this project. I congratulate him for achieving the goal and delivering a project on time. That being said, the music (not his fault) does sound way too similar to Hong Kong pirate stuff, with the drilling drums and whining notes (title screen is alright though).

We can take this as a good learning lesson that in the future we should share our work with the community before committing it to plastic. Someone could have posted the tunes on chipmusic.org for example to get critiques. An animated GIF of some action could have been shared on pixel art forums or Deviant Art. This project seems to have been kept basically a secret until release. I see this as a good learning lesson. Get some feedback, do some preliminary market (game testing) research first. There are plenty of great creative minds here that would love to help see projects reach their full potential.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157985)
Espozo wrote:
Does anyone know of any homebrew NES games with a character named DRW who asks a bunch of random trivia questions?

But not Super DRW Trivia Quiz because that doesn't feature horizontal mirroring and the Japanese manual had a misspelling.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157986)
psc wrote:
Firstly, we should all remember that Tepples was a hired hand

I didn't think that all of this was just for him. I was even thinking of tepples when I wrote that.

psc wrote:
That being said, the music (not his fault) does sound way too similar to Hong Kong pirate stuff, with the drilling drums and whining notes (title screen is alright though).

You nailed the hammer on the head. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I feel the same way. It's just like a bunch of random sounds, which might worked ok if what was happening onscreen was really frantic, but it seemed pretty mellow for the most part.

darryl.revok wrote:
Espozo wrote:
Does anyone know of any homebrew NES games with a character named DRW who asks a bunch of random trivia questions?

But not Super DRW Trivia Quiz because that doesn't feature horizontal mirroring and the Japanese manual had a misspelling.

I was about to suggest Super DRW Trivia Quiz 2, but I remembered that that game isn't 4 megabits.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157987)
Quote:
I was about to suggest Super DRW Trivia Quiz 2, but I remembered that that game isn't 4 megabits.

I loled :lol:
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157989)
dougeff wrote:
Once the game is done, there's no point in saying "blah blah music sucks" or "this animation looks weird". Keep the negativity to yourself.

Somehow James Rolfe's character in Angry Video Game Nerd gets away with not keeping the negativity to himself. The same is true of everyone else who has reviewed Action 52. Once a game is released, it's fair game for reviews.

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

Espozo wrote:
Does anyone know of any homebrew NES games with a character named DRW who asks a bunch of random trivia questions?

The closest I can think of are Jeopardy!, Jeopardy! Junior, and Jeopardy! 25th Anniversary, where Alex gives the answers and DRW gives the questions.

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

I got the "You got ninja'd" alert literally four times for seven posts made while I was researching and typing out this comment.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157990)
darryl.revok wrote:
Quote:
I was about to suggest Super DRW Trivia Quiz 2, but I remembered that that game isn't 4 megabits.

I loled :lol:

I'm here all night. :wink: (literally)

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

tepples wrote:
dougeff wrote:
Once the game is done, there's no point in saying "blah blah music sucks" or "this animation looks weird". Keep the negativity to yourself.

Somehow James Rolfe's character in Angry Video Game Nerd gets away with not keeping the negativity to himself. The same is true of everyone else who has reviewed Action 52. Once a game is released, it's fair game for reviews.

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

Espozo wrote:
Does anyone know of any homebrew NES games with a character named DRW who asks a bunch of random trivia questions?

The closest I can think of is Jeopardy!, where Alex gives the answers and DRW gives the questions.

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this."

I got the "You got ninja'd" alert literally four times for seven posts made while I was researching and typing out this comment.

Wow... :lol:
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157991)
Espozo wrote:
You nailed the hammer on the head. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I feel the same way. It's just like a bunch of random sounds, which might worked ok if what was happening onscreen was really frantic, but it seemed pretty mellow for the most part.

Here's an example of the style, for those who still have virgin ears (see the 0:30 second mark): https://youtu.be/4hjGpg5tcL8
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157992)
Whoever made that pirate game had no concept of the 8 sprite limit.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157995)
dougeff wrote:
Whoever made that pirate game had no concept of the 8 sprite limit.

For a long time, if you uploaded a 60 fps video to youtube, it would just drop every second frame. If your sprite flicker technique works with odd/even frames, it ends up looking like stuff is missing instead of flickering. This happens very often where damage is represented by odd/even flicker, e.g. SMB or Megaman, and on youtube videos it ends up looking like Mario just disappeared for a bit.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157996)
I wrote:
You nailed the hammer on the head.

What the heck was I thinking...

psc wrote:
Here's an example of the style, for those who still have virgin ears (see the 0:30 second mark): https://youtu.be/4hjGpg5tcL8

Those distinctly terrible instruments... Could it be the same people behind this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsRQkDZ_u5U#t=2m46s Bliss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsRQkDZ_u5U#t=10m4s

To be honest though, that really doesn't look too bad, especially for a pirate game. The fact that they'd make a fighting game based off of Super Mario Kart which is based off of just regular Super Mario Bros when it has no more to do with Mario Kart than it does with Mario Bros is definitely strange though. Also, are the names of the characters in that the names of the characters in Japanese or something?
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157997)
Kart Fighter (1993), Somari (1994), and DKC (1997) are all by Hummer Team and all use those upward slide attacks.

Kart Fighter is so-called because its roster is identical to that of Super Mario Kart. Nintendo ended up making a spiritual sequel to KF in 1999. It replaced half the characters but kept Mario, Luigi, DK, and Yoshi. Peach and Bowser returned in later editions, but Toad didn't (instead becoming part of Peach's counter move), and Koopa Troopa was replaced with the similar Squirtle from Pokémon.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157998)
tepples wrote:
Somehow James Rolfe's character in Angry Video Game Nerd gets away with not keeping the negativity to himself. The same is true of everyone else who has reviewed Action 52. Once a game is released, it's fair game for reviews.

Of course, but there are time and place issues and I think most people get that. AVGN is a character. If James Rolfe shouted that he'd rather suck donkey diarrhea when his friends showed him something they did, well, they might call him the Angry Video Game Jerk.

It's not about censoring anyone, I just think people should have the respect to look at things from more angles and consider if there's any point to saying negative things.

We have at least one outsider who's come to the forum to say we're too negative. Either that, or he's an old member who has donned a disguise to fight the forces of negativity in the forum. I prefer the second possibility that I concocted in my own head.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#157999)
Interesting hypothesis.

But let's see if you can find more Hummer Team influences in the rest of the soundtrack.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158000)
tepples wrote:
Nintendo ended up making a spiritual sequel to Kart Fighter in 1999. It replaced half the characters but kept Mario, Luigi, DK, and Yoshi.

Super Smash Bros is obviously just a watered down version of Kart Fighter. :lol:

darryl.revok wrote:
We have at least one outsider who's come to the forum to say we're too negative. Either that, or he's an old member who has donned a disguise to fight the forces of negativity in the forum. I prefer the second possibility that I concocted in my own head.

I prefer to believe that he's Jesus, trying to cleanse us of our sin of negativity.

tepples wrote:
Interesting hypothesis. But let's see if you can find more Hummer Team influences in the rest of the soundtrack.

Challenge accepted. :wink:
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158003)
darryl.revok wrote:
Honestly, DRW, I'm not going to bother responding more than saying this: I almost think you are only here to troll people. I get that impression when you do things like this and when you constantly ask extremely specific trivia questions and then reject all of the responses with arbitrary criteria that were not previously disclosed. Ugh.

Are you fucking kidding me? What does this have to do with anything?

"Hey, I don't like your latest post, so I'll complain about something completely unrelated that you wrote in a completely different context."

Yup, makes sense.

By the way, you do know what a troll is, do you? Now, answer me honestly: Was any of my criticism without a basis? Did I just flame randomly to stir up controversy?

darryl.revok wrote:
Of course, but there are time and place issues and I think most people get that. AVGN is a character. If James Rolfe shouted that he'd rather suck donkey diarrhea when his friends showed him something they did, well, they might call him the Angry Video Game Jerk.

Which is totally unrelated to the current situation since neither of us said anything that sounds remotely like the AVGN, nor is the guy who made the game my friend.
(His programmer is a valuable member of this forum, but you didn't hear me say anything bad about his part of the work. The publisher himself isn't, though.)
He's not someone who releases the game for free either. He sells the game on cartridges. For money. Therefore he's as much fair game as any other publisher.

I don't care whether the publisher is named Capcom or John Doe: If you want to be treated softly, release the game for free. Otherwise live with the fact that I'm free to criticize anything as hard as I want.


But I do get your point.
So, I guess I'll just write to every TV magazine, video game magazine, every movie critic and every sports commenter in existence and tell them that they should stop doing negative reviews on things that suck.

Because firstly, everybody is supposed to shut up or put up. (So Roger Ebert never had the right to criticize movies since he didn't create any himself.)

And secondly, what good is it to criticize a work after it has been released?
Yup, this makes total sense. If the new "Star Wars" movie sucks, we'd better had said it when it was still in production. Because as soon as it hits the cinemas in December, bad criticism is a big no-no since "it doesn't help anybody" since the movie is already done.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158007)
Quote:
I don't care whether the publisher is named Capcom or John Doe: If you want to be treated softly, release the game for free. Otherwise live with the fact that I'm free to criticize anything as hard as I want.


I think everybody can live with that, but that doesn't mean anybody wants to hear it. I'm an anarchist. I'm not saying anyone should censor you. I'm saying you should exercise some discretion on your own.

It's not the game developers saying any of this. I'm sure they can take whatever criticism comes their way. But as a member of this forum, and someone who wants to see the homebrew community grow, and serious homebrew releases have success, I think it was uncouth and an extreme example of negativity in this forum.

Quote:
But I do get your point.
So, I guess I'll just write to every TV magazine, video game magazine, every movie critic and every sports commenter in existence and tell them that they should stop doing negative reviews on things that suck.


Since you decide to respond with a flippant, I don't think you do get my point. Either that or you do and are trolling. Still not entirely sure.


I had more typed out, but I really feel like I'm feeding a troll and repeating the same things at this point. It's like trying to explain common sense to somebody. I'm pretty sure you get my point. If you really don't, then I don't know what to tell you. You're being a dick. Everybody else managed to have positive and negative comments without being a dick. Badgering about getting the demo before didn't help.

Espozo wrote:
I prefer to believe that he's Jesus, trying to cleanse us of our sin of negativity.


Perhaps we should create a fishybawb beacon to post in a thread whenever his super powers and/or holy powers are needed.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158008)
darryl.revok wrote:
I think everybody can live with that, but that doesn't mean anybody wants to hear it.

It's a forum. Once you see that you don't like what I write, you're free to ignore my posts.

darryl.revok wrote:
But as a member of this forum, and someone who wants to see the homebrew community grow, and serious homebrew releases have success, I think it was uncouth and an extreme example of negativity in this forum.

O.k., let's get factual: What exactly was an "extreme example of negativity" in my review? Quote me verbatim. Do it. I want to know exactly where my criticism was exaggerated. I bet you can't find an example and you will pretend that you don't want to talk with me anymore to cover the fact that, when you have a look at my actual review, you won't find anything like the stuff that you accuse me of.

darryl.revok wrote:
Since you decide to respond with a flippant, I don't think you do get my point. Either that or you do and are trolling. Still not entirely sure.

That one was sarcasm. It was neither meant seriously, nor was it trolling. "I get your point: Nobody should criticize works after they are published" was a sarcastic remark to point out that this opinion is stupid.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158009)
Quote:
What exactly was an "extreme example of negativity" in my review?


All of it. The posting of the post. The fact that you thought anybody needed to hear any of it. Or maybe not stopping to think that perhaps nobody needed to hear it.

The part where you badger about seeing the game incessantly and then when you do you post a huge petty nit-picking review that nobody fucking asked for.

I promise you are not the only EXTREMELY opinionated person on this forum but people have to learn to balance it or they make no friends.

Edit: BTW, I want to add that this review you posted, was a review of a Youtube video. Did you play the game, to see if you liked it? Maybe you would enjoy the gameplay enough that it wouldn't matter that some of the platforms are visually in the background, or that a character's bed is too large in a cutscene. These kind of things aren't uncommon in games for this platform. What kind of game do you want? A fun game, or exactly the one single game that DRW wants that meet all of these ridiculous criteria? You'll probably say you're making that game yourself. We know. You can spare me.

I'm curious, did you buy the game? You said you wanted to buy it. Did you decide it didn't look fun because of these graphical peculiarities?
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158015)
darryl.revok wrote:
Quote:
What exactly was an "extreme example of negativity" in my review?


All of it.

That's exactly what I mean: You cannot name any actual thing, so you just say "All of it."
My whole post was negative? Really? The following sentences were negative?
DRW wrote:
And in that statement, I was talking more about action RPGs where the story is told through the fact that you can talk to people and walk around wherever you want.
DRW wrote:
Alright, now to the game itself
DRW wrote:
Visually, you have created a really great atmosphere.


Those were negative statements? Seriously?

Tell me which criticism was exaggerated in my post. Don't say "All of it" as if that was any kind of valid argument. Quote me verbatim.
As you like to say: Put up or shut up!

darryl.revok wrote:
The part where you badger about seeing the game incessantly and then when you do you post a huge petty nit-picking review that nobody fucking asked for.

But you do know how a forum works, do you? Usually nobody asks anybody to make a specific post. Nobody "fucking asked" for your opinion about my criticism either. So, does that mean your posts are unjustified since nobody asked for them? Did you get a private message by a moderator, telling you: "Hey, how about you writing a sentence in a thread of our forum?"

Complaining on a forum that nobody asked for my post is totally stupid. I'm starting to suspect that you're some 15 year old boy.

darryl.revok wrote:
Edit: BTW, I want to add that this review you posted, was a review of a Youtube video. Did you play the game, to see if you liked it?

No. And was my review based on playing experience? No. Did I criticize the game's physics? No.
So, what's the problem?

darryl.revok wrote:
Maybe you would enjoy the gameplay enough that it wouldn't matter that some of the platforms are visually in the background, or that a character's bed is too large in a cutscene. These kind of things aren't uncommon in games for this platform.

But these kind of things are exactly the stuff the AVGN would make fun about and what elevates a professional project from a game with levels that some random guy scribbled on a piece of paper.

darryl.revok wrote:
What kind of game do you want? A fun game, or exactly the one single game that DRW wants that meet all of these ridiculous criteria?

You still don't get it. When I have specific criteria for a game, these don't count for another game. So, don't pretend that I have a specific game in mind and are just bitter that they didn't do my game. So, the question "What kind of game do you want?" is invalid to begin with since I'm not a person that is aiming to play one game in his whole life.

What I want about this specific game: A better soundtrack. And cut out the illogical perspective issue. This would be a start.

darryl.revok wrote:
I'm curious, did you buy the game? You said you wanted to buy it. Did you decide it didn't look fun because of these graphical peculiarities?

No, I didn't buy it. Because it looks amateurish because of these graphical peculiarities. And it is totally unbearable when it comes to the sound.
Two pretty major points: Unbearable sound. And amateurish design choices in a game where a professional programmer was hired and that was marketed as a professional game.
For such a project, there's really no excuse to include issues that you would expect from a Color Dreams game.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158018)
@DRW. Your comments were fair, until you said "amateurish...unbearable". If you want to know where fair criticism becomes trolling, it's in comments like that.

That being said. I am always glad to see new NES games, and I will be glad to see your NES game DRW, even if it maybe has a flaw ot two.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158019)
I understand some of the problems that some of you are having in getting your point across without appearing to be trolling. A lot of people in this hobby, including myself, have a mental disability making it harder to evaluate all connotations of a sentence. So sometimes I try to hide my criticisms behind cryptic puns, such that if you're smart enough to get it, you're smart enough to understand that nothing personal was meant.

Image
Hummer Team prepares to go to the Middle East


Let's just say that I mentioned scale earlier, and someone else thought scale inaccuracies could be overlooked.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158020)
dougeff wrote:
@DRW. Your comments were fair, until you said "amateurish...unbearable". If you want to know where fair criticism becomes trolling, it's in comments like that.

But didn't darryl.revok already whine after my very first comment about the game? So, I'm sure he has more issues with my review than that specific example.

And sorry, but the music is unbearable. It's not like in "I like the music of "Mega Man" better than the music of "Ninja Gaiden"", it is: "This game sounds like those awful unlicensed games. I would have to switch off the volume since I cannot hear this for more than two minutes."

And I only called one thing amateurish: The perspective issue. Which is amateursigh. Can you deny that? Can you imagine "Super Mario Bros." and being stopped in your way because the hill that looks like background is suddenly a foreground platform? Now imagine if "Super Mario Bros." had actual isometric graphics where you can clearly see all three dimensions. And now imagine the hill becoming an obstacle, even though it is clearly in the background, at another value of the Y-axis. This is basic geometry and visual perception: You don't jump on a platform that clearly belongs to the background when in every other situation your jump is supposed to go straight up.

dougeff wrote:
That being said. I am always glad to see new NES games, and I will br glad to see your NES game DRW, even if it maybe has a flaw ot two.

It will surely have flaws, but they can be corrected because I'm planning to upload a prototype here into this very forum as soon as the game is in an actual playable state where feedback would make sense.

I'm also glad when games are released. But I'm more glad if the people show their work before releasing a final version, so that you can give feedback in a way that it still has an influence on the game.

For example, it's not that I'm happy that I can bitch about the game. I was hoping to buy it. Unfortunately, it would have needed more polishing.


tepples wrote:

I don't mind scale inaccuracies when they serve the principle of functionality over art accuracy. When each house has the same size as the player character, this is just for the sake of simplicity. But here, we have the total opposite in the intro: A huge artwork for the room was designed, even though the regular player character was used in that scene. In this case, it would have been no problem at all to design a smaller room, so that the protagonist doesn't look like a character from "Toy Story".
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158023)
Why does the intro music sound like "Hummer Team," when the rest of the music sounds good?
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158024)
Quote:
Can you imagine "Super Mario Bros." and being stopped in your way because the hill that looks like background is suddenly a foreground platform?


You mean like this...my own work in progress hack...
https://youtu.be/1ScAD6DO2Ps

(Actually I might drop all of these changes, because they're a bit annoying).
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158025)
Am I being trolled? I think I'm being trolled.

I never once told anybody to "put up or shut up".
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158042)
I think that was me, but it wasn't in this thread... You guys :lol:
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158043)
darryl.revok wrote:
Am I being trolled? I think I'm being trolled.

I never once told anybody to "put up or shut up".

And again you react like the immature 15 year old boy that you are.

Sigh, do I really need to explain it? Do I really have to explain you why my statement was in no way trolling?

O.k., here we go, just so that people who haven't read everything don't think I make stuff up.

You wrote:
darryl.revok wrote:
I kind of wish the "put up or shut up" guy from a few days ago would show up so I wouldn't have to be the one to say this.

Please tell me I'm not the only one thinking this.

So, no, you haven't literally said "Hey, DRW, put up or shut up!" Therefore yes, from a totally moronic viewpoint, it might be justified to say that people who accuse you of this are trolling you.

But from a more everyday point of view, from a point of view that understands intention and context and doesn't parse the words like a mindless robot, you clearly identified with that sentence and you stated your intention to use it yourself.

You said you wish that the guy who originally came up with that sentence shows up. Implying that he should use the same argument again to spare you the need to use it yourself.
Which means that you stand behind his argumentation and that you think it is right.

You even literally called him
darryl.revok wrote:
the "put up or shut up" guy

O.k., yes, in a court, I might not be able to use this against you because technically you yourself never used the words, you just cited them.

But this is not a court, so I can take your intention into consideration. And from this angle, you identified with the words "put up or shut up" closely enough so that using these words against you in an ironic twist cannot be considered trolling.

I don't know if you're capable of understanding this logic, but I hope the others do and realize that all your accusations about me being a troll are nothing but the immature defiant reactions of a person who simply doesn't like a bunch of posts of mine.

Call me pessimistic and nitpicky, call me a flamer or a jerk or even an asshole. But if you call me a troll and if you proceed to comment each of my posts with the assumption that I'm a troll, then you are clearly just immature.
A troll is a person who consciously writes made-up controversial stuff that he doesn't even believe himself and who just wants to cause trouble for fun. This is different from a mere flamer or someone who criticizes everything and can never be pleased, but who is totally serious in his statements and actually means what he says.
And you're literally the only one here who seems to think that my review wasn't meant seriously.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158045)
Pessimistic, nitpicky, flamer, jerk or even an asshole bingo:

Calls someone person an "immature (0-1)x year old boy": check.
Says "Sigh,": check.
Says "moronic", "idiotic", or "mindless" when referring to someone one someone's viewpoint: check.
Likes to italicize words to sound upset or frustrated, especially on the words "literally" and "technically": check.
Feels the need to try to convince others that he isn't a "troll": check.
Says "you're the only one" in an accusatory manner: check.
Says "Call me", followed by words that are generally considered negative, including "pessimistic", "nitpicky", "flamer", "jerk", or even ""asshole": check.
Says "words against you" or some variation: check.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158046)
Omg. Okay, fine.

You insult me, you call me a child, you try to give me orders, you try to goad me into explaining the same things over and over again, and you wonder why I think you may be trolling me?

Do you understand the idea that some things, while they may be your true opinion, can be rude to give at certain times? Tepples is right, it's not fair to assume that everybody understands this. If you don't, please just say so and perhaps we can steer this debate to a productive direction.

I don't think anyone needs the "Angry Video Game Nerd" treatment given to released games. AVGN isn't going out looking for targets in newly released homebrew games and trying to trash talk them before anybody even knows about them. If that's the kind of response we can hope to get by posting in this forum, then I for one would be happy to leave.

I said, and meant, that I wish the guy who said "put up or shut up" would return, because I'm sure this is the kind of negativity that inspired him to join the forum and make that his first post. Anything beyond that is your perception.

Quote:
And you're literally the only one here who seems to think that my review wasn't meant seriously.


Do you really pretend to know what everybody else thinks?
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158047)
Is it time to lock this thread yet?
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158050)
darryl.revok wrote:
You insult me, you call me a child, you try to give me orders, you try to goad me into explaining the same things over and over again, and you wonder why I think you may be trolling me?

Yes, because unless these things aren't meant seriously, they are not the behavior of a troll.
You don't seem to understand the difference between a troll and a mere flamer.

You can find me as unpleasant as you want, but if you call me a troll, you're basically calling me a liar. Because a troll, by definition, is someone who just pretends to hold the viewpoint he is presenting.

You can hate me as much as you like. But don't tell me that my posts only contain a fake made-up position that I invented just to fool around with you. Bacause that's what you're implying when you call me a troll. A troll is not just a person whose opinion you don't like.

darryl.revok wrote:
Do you understand the idea that some things, while they may be your true opinion, can be rude to give at certain times?

When it comes to the way I treated you: Yes, I'm aware of it and no, I don't care.
You were way too defensive even after my original review of the game. You compared this stuff to the AVGN.
So, I don't care anymore whether you are insulted by my posts since I know that even a factual review isn't good enough for you.

When it comes to my original review of the game: You still haven't quoted me the exact statements that were apparently too rude.

darryl.revok wrote:
I don't think anyone needs the "Angry Video Game Nerd" treatment given to released games.

And again, for the last time: Nobody here gave anybody a fucking AVGN treatment. I never said "This game sucks ass." I gave my opinion on what I don't like about it.

When it came to the sound, I call it horrible, yes. Because it is. This sound makes me reduce or switch off the volume.
It is horrible because it contains that really unpleasant shrieky sound effect and it contains it constantly.

And I called the whole perspective issue with the stairs amateurish because it is. No game worth its money should do this. It's one of those beginners errors that makes the game seem like one of those unlicensed products from back in the days.

Other than that, I merely pointed out some things I don't like.
You still fail to provide where I made over the top accusations in the way you're implying.

darryl.revok wrote:
Quote:
And you're literally the only one here who seems to think that my review wasn't meant seriously.


Do you really pretend to know what everybody else thinks?

Dammit! Stop taking everything so literally!
No, I cannot be sure that every single person who ever had his eyes on this thread doesn't believe I'm trolling.
But I can be damn sure that while people might disagree with my opinion or find me outright annoying, that they never accused me of just making all this stuff up.

You should start settling on one of the two opinions about me:

Am I a nitpicky asshole who cannot be pleased with anything since he always has very specific requirements for what he considers a good game?

Or am I an asshole because I'm a troll who imitates a nitpicky asshole who cannot be pleased and who makes up specific requirements for what he pretends to consider a good game, even though those are not his real opinions?

So, am I someone who doesn't like the game for superficial reasons? Then I'm not a troll.
Or am I someone who likes the game, but who makes up criticism just to fool around with the people? Then I'm not actually nitpicky because it's just an act.

I can either be a nitpicky flamer or a troll. One way or the other. You accuse me of both, which is a contraditiction in itself.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158051)
rainwarrior wrote:
Is it time to lock this thread yet?

It's overdue...

Seriously though, if there's ever a fight between two people, make an agreement to carry it over to private messaging.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158052)
I doubt either of them wants to have a private conversation.
Re: Looking for NES Coder ( Paid )
by on (#158053)
If you want to fight, get a Capcom game or something.

This has become way out of hand. Someone who has bought a copy can post a new topic. Until then, I think I know which road Donny is taking at the moment:
Image


EDIT: Discussion continues in this topic